News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Beginning of the End-20 Years since Hungary Cut the Fences

2009 is the 20th anniversary of the beginning of the end of Communist rule in a lot of the eastern satellite countries. On May the 2nd 1998, Hungarain Border Guards started removing the fences defining their borders with Austria. The Hungarian government assured the East German government that they would not provide a gate way for a flood of East German's to escape into Austria. It was a promise they were unable to keep. Hungaries Lake Balaton had long been a popular summer holiday destination and following the removal of the fences in May many East Germans entered Hungary, ostensibly on holiday, and went immediately to Austria. This caused a major problem for the Austrians trying to house this flood of what became refugees. Here is a BBC picture showing Hungary soldiers cutting the fencing between Hungary and Austria.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

Guest Rick Research

People here have completely forgotten "before." Memory endures--I hope--more so there. This is hardly "ancient" history, but for billions drifting along in blissful oblivion, yesterday never happened. :beer:

A few things of note - apparently there is a German film being made about the event in Hungary - but dont know if its gotten off the ground or not...

Secondly - every once in a while you could buy little commemorative "chunks" of the old barbed wire with a certificate of the fence...

Thirdly - how quickly we seem to forget the events between 1917 and 1989....

Guest Darrell

I wonder what the difference is between the Barb Wire they sell and the stuff in the scrap at the back of my house? :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

2009 is the 20th anniversary of the beginning of the end of Communist rule in a lot of the eastern satellite countries. On May the 2nd 1998, Hungarain Border Guards started removing the fences defining their borders with Austria...

Hi Gents,

I would like to share with you some photographs of an original and authentic piece of the so called Iron Curtain. It is interesting, that this box was made still in communist times and used as presents. Just imagine the face of a General of the Soviet Armed Forces receiving this kind of "farewell present". :rolleyes:

Here is the box and its content:

765556357wasfugg-dob_www.kepfeltoltes.hu

Regards,

cimbineus