News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

There were bakelite (or more properly plastic) WVS "Salvage Collector" buttonhole badges in use during WWII of a different design & with brooch fitting,but I just wonder if this badge is Special Constabulary, not that I've any particular reason to think not.

There were bakelite (or more properly plastic) WVS "Salvage Collector" buttonhole badges in use during WWII of a different design & with brooch fitting,but I just wonder if this badge is Special Constabulary, not that I've any particular reason to think not.

Hi, Many thanks. This one has me stumped. The design and production are of a high quality and I have never come across anything like it in the 'SC' world. You may well be right in your feeling that it is not Special Constabulary. I suspect that it will remain a mystery. A nice little badge though.

Here is a link to a photograph of Nottingham City Special Constables resplendent in their bowler plates.

Photo

Hello Nick, Many thanks for the link. What a charming photograph! I wonder why they landed on that particular solution to providing insignia in that part of the country. Oh for the need of proper records!!

kevin

Hello Nick, Many thanks for the link. What a charming photograph! I wonder why they landed on that particular solution to providing insignia in that part of the country. Oh for the need of proper records!!

kevin

Kevin, the bowler plate was a jolly sensible idea. It made the SC easily identifiable and every adult male wore a titfa'.

Why Nottingham City and the county came up with this solution I can't say but I do know of someone who may. An ex-city officer who specialized in SC insignia (KH) who you might have come across in your own collecting activities.

Edited by NickLangley

Hi Nick

If you are reffering to Keith Hallam, Keith passed away some years ago now. I have been told that he had over 700 Specials badges in his collection I would love to have seen them.I presume the family kept the collection as I dont think it ever cam to market.

Regards Alan

Brian, I have more or less exhausted the posting of images from my personal collection, with the exception of files too large and documents etc.. I will try to post those when time permits. I am now embarking on the uploading of images that I have gathered that are NOT in my collection but I feel are worthy of sharing. As many images are sourced from Ebay, my apolgies to the owners of any of these badges. I put forward the images in good faith and claim no ownership. Hopefully, this should help all collectors to build up a useful reference source - which I feel sure was your intention when you 'gave birth' to this thread.

Kind regards,

Kevin

Edited by SCcollector