News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello Everyone,

Mervyn has reminded me that I have been a bit lazy lately in not posting anything under this section. So, to help correct that here is an item that just arrived.

As I have said on many occasions I like to add Special Constabulary Long Service Good Conduct medals that come with a little something extra with them. I think it adds a little bit of a more personal touch to the collection.

In this case the LSGC named to William B. Felce came with the original box addressed to William B. Felce, 88 Northampton as well as including the paper envelope that held the medal. In addition the grouping came with a photo of Mr. Felce at a later time in his life, from the looks of the photo. The back of the photo is identified. Something else that came with the group that was dear to my heart, a competition medal that he won for fret work in 1915. Fret work is the cutting of very detailed designs in wood. One of my passions is woodworking in case I wasn't clear. :whistle:

Here is the group, I hope you like it.

Regards

Brian

Brian - how unusual to have a woodworking medal - boxed and well cast. Have you checked that he didn't have any war service ? I ask because the picture shows his old waistcoat pocket watch in the top pocket and suspended from the lapel button hole. There is a Cross attached - which with a waistcoat would have hung below the centre button - for people on war service this Cross was often a gift from wives or, sweethearts ?

Hello Mervyn,

The item just arrived and I posted it straight away, so I have had no time to research.

The dates of the wood working medal (1915) and the Geo VI Specials medal would certainly place him in the correct time period for war service (I think). If and when I find that information I'll add it to the post.

Regards

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

This group just arrived the other day and I thought I would share it with you.

The WWI medals are named to: 116090 DVR. T.W.H. JACKSON, R.A.

The Defence Medal is, as usual, unnamed.

The Special Constabulary Medal is named to: Tom Jackson.

This is all of the information I have to date but I think this is a nice grouping to a soldier who served in the Great War and continued to serve his nation and community during the Second World War.

Thanks for taking a look, I hope you like the group.

Regards

Brian

There is a Tom William H. Jackson shown as born about 1893, son of Septimus and Sarah, Hartshill Warwickshire. Died 1971 Darwen District Lancashire. His MIC contains no other information other than confirming his pair.

Thank you very much for that information Michael.

Now I have something to put in that file folder...I hate empty folders.

Thanks again.

Regards

Brian

Thank you very much for that information Michael.

Now I have something to put in that file folder...I hate empty folders.

Thanks again.

Regards

Brian

That Defence Medal looks awfully shiny; is it a Canadian one?

Edited by Michael Johnson

That Defence Medal looks awfully shiny; is it a Canadian one?

Hi Micheal,

Yes it is quite shinny and I had to go down to the collection to look at it once again. It actually looks as if it could be Canadian but it came from the UK so I'm going to say that it is probably British but in very good condition.

Regards

Brian

If you have a Canadian one, compare thickness - The British cupro-nickle one is thicker.

I once had a British/Canadian mixed group, and the Defence and War were Canadian issues. I'm still not sure whether he "upgraded" while in the Canadian Army, or whether he received them from Canada rather than Britain.

If you have a Canadian one, compare thickness - The British cupro-nickle one is thicker.

I once had a British/Canadian mixed group, and the Defence and War were Canadian issues. I'm still not sure whether he "upgraded" while in the Canadian Army, or whether he received them from Canada rather than Britain.

Good eye Michael. The medal is .5mm thinner than the cupro-nickle specimen in my collection making this a Canadian issue.

Well done sir.

Regards

Brian

Here is something that arrived just a short while ago. It is a custodian helmet plate for the Surrey Special Constabulary. I was not aware that the police issued custodian helmets to the Specials and this is the first one I've seen. Mervyn has informed me that this is something that is fairly resent, so no need to watch for any with the King's Crown.

The enamel has been damaged but then the first thing to go in an altercation is the headgear so enameled plates are probably subject to damage for this very reason. We won't get into possible careless use on the Special's part. As if that ever happens. :whistle:

Regards

Brian

Here is something that arrived just a short while ago. It is a custodian helmet plate for the Surrey Special Constabulary. I was not aware that the police issued custodian helmets to the Specials and this is the first one I've seen. Mervyn has informed me that this is something that is fairly resent, so no need to watch for any with the King's Crown.

The enamel has been damaged but then the first thing to go in an altercation is the headgear so enameled plates are probably subject to damage for this very reason. We won't get into possible careless use on the Special's part. As if that ever happens. :whistle:

Regards

Brian

Hi Brian

There are two version of the Surrey Specials helmet plate, the only others that I know of are City of London who have 2 SC and senior SC and Norfolk had one which is no longer issued they use the same as regulars now. You can see them on my web page www.thebadgerslair.com

Regards Alan

Hi Brian

There are two version of the Surrey Specials helmet plate, the only others that I know of are City of London who have 2 SC and senior SC and Norfolk had one which is no longer issued they use the same as regulars now. You can see them on my web page www.thebadgerslair.com

Regards Alan

Thanks Alan, I will indeed check it out.

Regards

Brian

Brian

The Surrey Specials helmet plate has changed again and now has the lettering picked out in a gold colour. Next time I see one I'll get it photographed and added here.

Regards Simon

Thanks Simon, that would be great, I'll watch for it.

Regards

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Another lapel badge - WW1 period - for the records. This is for East Sussex Constabulary - which I think includes Brighton. This would account for the Royal Arms - being a Royal Borough. King George 4th. had his famous Pavillion there for entertaining the local and imported - tarts He was a very dissolute 'piece of work'..

• 3 weeks later...

I was going through my Police collection cabinet and thought you might like to see this unresearched group. I do have a fondness for groups that include a Special Constabulary Medal. :love:

The 1914/15 Star, BWM and Victory Medal are all named to:

CPL. A.W. TAYLOR

SUFF. R. (Suffolk Reg.)

The Defence Medal is, as usual, unnamed but the Special Constabulary Long Service Good Conduct Medal is named to:

ARTHUR W. TAYLOR.

Regards

Brian

Hello Everyone,

A good friend of mine has forwarded this photo through the internet to me and we'd like to attempt to track the fellow down, so-to-speak. He could be related to my friend but all that is written on the photo's back is, "Francis Special Police WWII".

Since it is not known what this fellow's last name was, as he could have been related to my friend's father or mother we thought that starting with the police force where he served would be a good start.

I am hoping that one of the members will recognize the collar badge. The King's Crown is clearly shown but the rest is not so clear. Can anyone shed some light on this mystery?

Thanks for any assistance you can give us.

Regards

Brian

Here is the closest view I can get and still retain some detail. If you want to get closer please use the Ctrl + "trick", to get back to the normal size just use Ctrl -.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Brian