News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Here is the closest view I can get and still retain some detail. If you want to get closer please use the Ctrl + "trick", to get back to the normal size just use Ctrl -.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Brian

Hi

This is a Buckinghamshire War Reserve Officer.

Alan

Alan,

that makes sense as my father was born in Buckinghamshire and the photo was in his effects which I have inherited. My mother was born in Northants just a few miles from where my dad lived. Her maiden name was Bayes.

Stuart

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

I know it is starting to sound like my anthem, but I really like Special Constabulary Long Service and Good Conduct medals when they are part of a group. The very fact that a soldier served his country in war and then continued to serve his community in the Special COnstabulary really srtikes a cord deep within me.

This group, as may be seen in the photo, was issued to a member of the R.F.A. (Royal Field Artillery), the 1914/15 Star is marked so, the BWM and the Victory Medals are marked R.A. (Royal Artillery). I can only begin to imagine what this fellow saw during the Great War and then went on serving his community afterwards. This group, in my opinion, speaks volumes for the man's fine character.

I hope you like it.

Regards

Brian

A relative in England, the family historian, has contacted me and says that she did not uncover anything about a Francis in the family, which is a shame.

Stuart

This is going to sound stupid, but when has that ever stopped me (rhetorical)? Sometimes when people get wrapped up in researching family they miss little details so I have to ask, did she look up "Frank"?

Regards

Brian

Brian,

that is a very good point and I suspect that she didn't. I might have another bash at genealogy.co.uk but since I have little need to use it often am reluctant to pay for the service. However, I think that they have a one-off system for payment.

Regards,

Stuart

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Gents

I thought I would attach my old body armour badge as over the last few years I have changed it about three times. The modern one is rectangle and comes off on velcro. As you cane see there is no reference to Special Constable or is there any indications on collar numbers. The instruction to remove SC and Crown came out about 4 years ago and the only factor that differentiates SC from Regs is the batch of collar numbers alloted to SC.

Steve

Hello Steve and welcome to the GMIC.

Is there any chance I can encourage you to write an article on the Avon & Somerset Constabulary?

I know it's not fair to ask so soon but if I don't Mervyn will beat me to it. :whistle:

At the moment I'm working on an article on the Waterloo Regional Police Service here in Ontario, Canada and another one on the Staffordshire Police (U.K. of course).

A write up of any length you feel confortable with and a few photos would be great.

I hope to be hearing (ok "reading") more from you in the future.

Again, welcome to the forum.

Regards

Brian

Gents

I can put a few words together in due course about A&S but in short the area has around 3500 Officers and around 250 - 300 Specials. As mentioned the SC are only differentiated by a selected batch of collar numbers and wear the same uniform, if like me and you have been in a number of years you started out with a standard tunic assembly rather than just a fleece and collar number arrangement.

I have added on a small part of my collection which is a truncheon that was gifted to me a while ago from an old man who older brother was a special around WW11 and came from the Essex area.

I cannot make out the design- any thoughts?

Gents

I can put a few words together in due course about A&S but in short the area has around 3500 Officers and around 250 - 300 Specials. As mentioned the SC are only differentiated by a selected batch of collar numbers and wear the same uniform, if like me and you have been in a number of years you started out with a standard tunic assembly rather than just a fleece and collar number arrangement.

I have added on a small part of my collection which is a truncheon that was gifted to me a while ago from an old man who older brother was a special around WW11 and came from the Essex area.

I cannot make out the design- any thoughts?

This is one for you to comment on Mervyn.

Regards

Brian

Steve - welcome from myself as well. The truncheon could be for a factory - there is no Crown and it looks like initials with & in the middle. There is a no. 46 at the base - which again, could indicate a large concern. I really need to know what the letters are - see if you can work them ot - and some photos - going around the body - would be helpful. Mervyn

Steve - welcome from myself as well. The truncheon could be for a factory - there is no Crown and it looks like initials with & in the middle. There is a no. 46 at the base - which again, could indicate a large concern. I really need to know what the letters are - see if you can work them ot - and some photos - going around the body - would be helpful. Mervyn

Mervyn

Please see attached close up picture of the truncheon. The image is one of symbolic graphics rather than writing and the number is 6 on its own. The truncheon fits in my police right hand pocket a treat, mind you I could not see a foot chase with that down there. As you may guess I was trained on ASP.

Regards

Stephen

I think I was right with it being a Factory Security detail - the low number of 6 makes it more of a possibility. The alternative could be that it was for one of the early Canals - if this could be proved, then it is rare and quite valuable. Did you buy it locally ? Try and think what would fit the initials ?

As highlighted a few inputs ago the truncheon was given to me by an old family friend who late brother was a special in the Essex area during WW11. It is difficult to make out the painted design. I will try and send on to you further detailed pictures. any comments would be appreciated.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...

Congratulations Brian - this post has exceeded 17000 ! Must make it one of the most visited. After a while they seem to get a life of their own and just keep multiplying - I think new members see the numbers and feel they should visit. I've noticed this with the Zulu post.

Anyway - well done and keep finding things......... Mervyn

• 3 months later...

As per your request Mervyn, here is a Bucks Special Constabulary whistle. Not that I have been collecting these for decades and we don't see a lot of British Special Constabulary material in Canada, however, this is the first one I have seen offered for sale.

It just arrived and I wanted to post it even though it is in need of a clean.

Regards

Brian

Great info re the Specials which are an interest of mine - I have three LSGC medals in my collection - named as follows...

• Sergeant Harry Duckworth (George V Coronation Robes ) with The Great War clasp
    • Septimus Dixon (George V Coinage Profile)
    • Archibald Paterson (George VI IND IMP)

I try to buy medals with interesting and potentially researchable names (with limited success) I would be interested if any member has any tips on how to research these medals an information seems to be hard to come by.

Steve R

Hi Steve

Welcome to GMIC, sorry to say you are on a hiding to nothing as most forces did not keep very good records for specials. The best I have ever seen are WWII Gloucestershire. The biggest problem is that specials medals, unless you get the box it came in do not state the force served in.

So you don't even have a starting point. Best of luck with your research, if you think they may be from Cambridgeshire I do have a few names only WWII though, unfortunatly even group photos of which there are many are not normaly named.

Alan

Welcome to the forum Steve, good to see another SC collector on board.

Also welcome to my personal collecting Hades (you can't say H-E-double hockey sticks in polite company). Trying to research these medals especially, as Alan pointed out, without the box is just about impossible.

I hope to hear more form you as time passes.

Regards

Brian