Afghan Helmet Plate

Inspired by the spate of Afghan and mid-east decorations that have gone before, I am venturing to display my one and only helmet plate from that part of the globe. This is an Afghan badge and possibly relates to the Shah Shiyah's Horse Artillery, c.1880. If onyone has any more definite information on this badge, I'd be delighted to hear from them

I have a few Afghan cap badges, but apart from one, c. 1930, they are all relatively modern ones. A Royalist Airforce cap badge would enhance my collection nicely, if anyone has one to spare . . .?

Brian

[attachmentid=17168]

• 15 years later...

I own a helmet with this exact plate on it! I think your attribution is right, and this was worn by an Afghan horse artillery unit in Kabul. There are two helmets in Carlisle Castle which have very similar front-plates, surmounted by lion-heads, which were captured from the Amir's bodyguard in Kabul in 1878.

IMG_8576.HEIC

That is a lovely thing indeed, Brian. 

May I ask your permission to share the photo on the South Asian Military Heritage Facebook page?  One of the members there is shgaring 'badge pics' every day, including some of the State Forces units and I think the members would enjoy seeing this.  Thanks.

Peter

On 26/11/2005 at 16:14, shako_uk said:

A Royalist Airforce cap badge would enhance my collection nicely, if anyone has one to spare . . .?

Do you mean these? 

Afgh Cap Badge AF typ 3 var 1.jpg

Afgh Cap Badge AF typ 3 var 1 Foto.jpg

On 26/11/2005 at 16:14, shako_uk said:

. This is an Afghan badge and possibly relates to the Shah Shiyah's Horse Artillery, c.1880.

That is impossible. Shah Shuja died on 5 April 1842. 

• 5 weeks later...