News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Photos of Victorian "Lincolnshire" Police in Shakos.

I'm assuming that these 2 photos in which the same man appears are of Hull police officers - I don't know what the title of their force would be at the time these carte de visite sized photos were taken.

Any information re these photos is welcome, thanks.

There are no details written or printed on the back of this photo.

Some kind of parade in the background? Men wearing white shell jackets?

A Volunteers Training Camp?

Edited by leigh kitchen

The back of this photo bears "BY SPECIAL INVITATION","W. J. WELLSTED & SON", "PHOTOGRAPHERS OF THE PRINCESS OF WALES", "3 Paragon St. HULL"

The breast number of the man in the centre looks like "L" over a "4" or "6", followed by a "3" or "5", but I may be way out with those guesses.

The boy at front left appears to be wearing a Rifle Volunteers darkened metal or embroidered stringed bugle on his cap, with crown or a numeral above - if a number, perhaps "2" or "7".

Buttons around both cuffs of the man on the right, but not the other two, they don't look as though they're for attaching a duty band.

Edited by leigh kitchen

Photo 3, "F. Beales 31, HIGH STREET Corner of West Street Boston"

"SOLE LICENSEE FOR THE PATENT CHROMOTYPE PROCESS IN BOSTON".

If only he was holding that shako the other way around - a member of the Boston force of the time.

Breast number "H over "45".

Edited by leigh kitchen

Cheshire were the main County Force to wear the shako , as a helmet - and not for a long period. That doesn't mean that some of the small forces that sprung-up might not have copied them. The first card has a magnificent crown - it can be dated to between 1870's and 1901. Edward V11 was married then and the previous Princess of Wales had been George 2 or,3. There is a book on Police helmet plates - a former supt. of mine V. Wilkinson co-authored it - they are selling them at discount through PICA. (Police Insignia Collectors Assoc.)

Thanks, is that an orignal band or replacement?

From what I can tell it is original, there is certainly no sign it has ever been replaced and the wear to it matches exactly with the overall wear and ageing to the shako

I'm assuming that these 2 photos in which the same man appears are of Hull police officers - I don't know what the title of their force would be at the time these carte de visite sized photos were taken.

Any information re these photos is welcome, thanks.

There are no details written or printed on the back of this photo.

Some kind of parade in the background? Men wearing white shell jackets?

A Volunteers Training Camp?

Leigh

This is a real poser according to badges of office Lincs never had a Vicky wreath HP, Kingston up Hull did but not with a crown. I know two collectors who I class as experts in the field of uniform and HP both having many years of collecting behind them. I have copied photos 3 and 4 and sent it to both of them will let you know when I get a reply from them. Long shot the H may be Huntingdonshire, apparently they wore a Shako, but I have yet to have it confirmed. A photo in Crime and Punishment by R Whitmore shows a circa 1890 Huntingdonshire PC wearing a shako with no badge and a RH breast patch, but Ken Mason could not confirm that it was Hunts.

Alan :beer:

Leigh

Reply from my friend hope it was what you where looking for.

The one featuring the "shield" shaped badge on his hat is Lincoln City Police (Vic. era). The remaining three are Lincolnshire Constabulary. The badge is not in fact a wreath but a QVC crowned circle with LKH in the centre. The guy with the QVC on his forearm is also, I think Lincs. The "H" and the number indicates that he's stationed in Holland.

You can see the letter "L" in the enlarged photo which indicates he is stationed in Lindsay.

Alan :D

Thanks, I'd veered towards "Lincolnshire" as I knew that some of the countys forces had worn the shako (& given the photographers locations), I'd wondered which force or forces they actually were though. I did'nt know that Huntingdon had worn the shako, though I suppose a fair few forces did.

I was going to track down Ken Mason & drag him on board - you going to point him in the direction of GMIC?