News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1813 EK2 grouping.

• Replies 50
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I've never had to do this to an EK, but I've used WD-40 with excellent results. It cleans, drives the moisture out and keeps it out, penetrates (so would probably even get in behind the frame) and will darken/protect the iron. Of course the cross will now stink like chemical....

That is an absolutely wonderful grouping Gordon.. my congratulations on a great & rare find.

I too would be interested in knowing how you will go about arresting the rust to the EK2.... I have an 1870 EK1 that is beginning its innevitable submission to the 'orange' meanie.. :angry:

WD40 .... maybe, but I'd be interested in your approach too.....

regards

Marshall

Guest Brian von Etzel

Rick, you ever heard of Boe-Shield?

A more up to date replacement for WD40. No damage to paint.

My problem are surrounding ribbons...

I'm wary of doing anything which might have an adverse effect, but as the core doesn't have the baked enamel painted core of later crosses WD40, which I seem to recall might damage paintwork, may well be safe. I'll probably try a smear of that on a cotton bud and see where we go from there.

There are a couple of other aspects of this cross which deserve mention, including its construction which is one that so far, I haven't seen recorded, and its not one of the three methods "Iron Time" shows. The ring is pretty special too. All will be explained later today when I'll post some more pics.

Good... cos I'm dying to know what this pin is all about!!

A 'wrap-around' type frame maybe??

Marshall

Just to show how the camera can lie, its not a pin, but a ridge running along the arm. Imagine the frame consisting of the usual obverse half, and also the reverse half of the outer flange, made from several parts pinned together. Then lay in the iron core, and then to hold everthing together, the reverse part consists of the inner ribbed beading only, which is soldered into place, butted up against that ridge. Truly bizzare.

Okay, first really unusual feature is the suspension loop. Not the usual sealed ring, but an open split ring. My first thought would have been that the original ring was lost and this was a replacement until Stogie Rick pointed out that this arrangement is correct for very early pieces ( see the 25Yr LS at left in the frame) of this era.

I gave the surface a wipe ( little more than a smear with a cotton bud barely damp with WD40) and it has certainly improved the appearance of the core. I think I'll leave it at that for now.

I don't have a decent camera to hand at the moment, but hopefully you will be able to see that there is no joint line around the centre of the frame. the outer flange being integral with the beaded inner frame of the obverse. The beaded inner frame of the reverse however, is a separate part, and you can just make out the join line. First I have ever heard of this type of construction

Guest Brian von Etzel

What a great piece. I am so jealous. I have been looking for one that I could believe 100% in for a long time to mount next to this photo...

I imagine your piece is as early as they get.

Guest Brian von Etzel

Yes, but I'm not trying to hijack the thread but put a more human element into an old piece of metal and rust. It was once brilliant and hung proudly around someone's neck.