News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

BOER WAR & WW1 GROUP

With the interesting posts appearing for the Boer War , I thought this group might be of interest. They are only loosely mounted for display.

The QSA and KSA are to : 4045 Pte. J.E.ADAMS Cheshire Regt.

The WW1 - War and Victory to : Pte. J.E.ADAMS 7th.S.A.I. (South African Inf. - The Transvaal Regt.)

Good service chevrons - and , always nice, Div. patches. Crossed rifles - pres. as a marksman.

The Cheshire Yeomanry were active in S.A. - but, I understand The Cheshire Regt was not posted - he must have been attached to another unit?

The maximum number of overseas chevrons and worn towards the end of WWI was '5' and it would be those who served in 1914, who qualified for '5' which would be a blue one followed by four red's. All others serving after 1914 were worn in red and they were worn point up, not down.

Whether or not the South Africans differed I couldn't honestly say, but strips of red are for service during WWII, as no distinguishing blue one was worn, as in WWI.

The marksmans badge is off his "blue patrol" jacket, otherwise would have been woven onto scarlet melton cloth for wear with parade dress.

The 2nd Bn, Cheshire Regiment served in South Africa from 1900 - 1902 and saw action at "Karee Sidings", "Zand River" and "Johannesberg".

• 2 weeks later...

The maximum number of overseas chevrons and worn towards the end of WWI was '5' and it would be those who served in 1914, who qualified for '5' which would be a blue one followed by four red's. All others serving after 1914 were worn in red and they were worn point up, not down.....................

Typo Graham - WWI overseas service chevrons would be red for 1914, blue for the remaining years, WWII all were red.

• 2 weeks later...