News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Flammenwerfer! Flames, skulls and stuff

Just my opinion, Don.

OK - probably not worth a gnat's crotch.

But, after 42 years of very sad, but microscopic study and hard-bitten experience, I have come to realise that the ONLY thing you can rely on in this game is 'gut feeling'. Gut feeling, pure and simple. Gut feeling based on observation and handling of items over a looooooooooooooooong period of time.

Everything else .................. 'die flaws', minuscule weights and measurements, COAs, 'big names', etc. etc. ......................... is fluff.

Either a thing 'has the look' or it doesn't. It's that simple, so far as collectors are concerned. Right across the whole field of antiques and collectables.

That thing doesn't.

May sound a bit odd, but all the old-timers here will know exactly what I mean.

Hopefully.

Have a great Christmas!

Just examining and discussing Robin. No need to take offense. I'm not convinced either way at the moment. One thing this thread has shown is that their is a wide variety with these. Much like the black skull that started this thread, one has to look at everything. As you know, I've held the two "known originals" posted in this thread. Given that they are constructed differently they are the left and right limits to me. Its what is in between that we should look for. Besides "gut feeling" I think we could establish some characteristics.

As you know, I've held the two "known originals" posted in this thread. Given that they are constructed differently they are the left and right limits to me. Its what is in between that we should look for. Besides "gut feeling" I think we could establish some characteristics.

The good, the good and the ugly. ;)

Just gut feeling .............................

Unfortunately, the good ones have been exposed in detail, front and back.....a huge help to those who plan to deceive. It's the old dilemma, how do you educate the collecting community without feeding the same information to the fakers?

Chip

Just my opinion, Don.

OK - probably not worth a gnat's crotch.

But, after 42 years of very sad, but microscopic study and hard-bitten experience, I have come to realise that the ONLY thing you can rely on in this game is 'gut feeling'. Gut feeling, pure and simple. Gut feeling based on observation and handling of items over a looooooooooooooooong period of time.

Everything else .................. 'die flaws', minuscule weights and measurements, COAs, 'big names', etc. etc. ......................... is fluff.

Either a thing 'has the look' or it doesn't. It's that simple, so far as collectors are concerned. Right across the whole field of antiques and collectables.

That thing doesn't.

May sound a bit odd, but all the old-timers here will know exactly what I mean.

Hopefully.

Have a great Christmas!

I consider myself a Medium old timer...

But I honestly believe that you need both.

There are many, many, many modern fakes that have the feel, the wear and with just gut feeling will cost you your shirt.

In 1970, or 1980 you could use (as I used to hear all the time) "hmmmm... fantastic quality, wear, patina... fakers cannot do that... this Knights Cross is REAL!"

But for the last 10 years or so... thats the best way to waste EUR10 000.

There are cloth and uniform items out there that are very RIGHT, in every detail... but are not. I know a tailor who makes stuff from old greatcoats for his own use... I defy anyone to know they are not "right" without him telling them.

To rely exclusively on "gut feeling" or to rely exclusively on Die flaws, weights and measurement... I would prefer to do both... using just one is going into battle one armed....

As far as "big names" go... lets say for arguments sake you say my wound badge is fake, should I automatically discount it because you are a big name? Or does this just concern ones you are, or are not on speaking terms with? :-)

Best

Chris

Are you saying there must be a specific number of teeth? How many to be a good one?

To be a good yank, so many and so bleached you can barely close your mouth... to be a good Brit or Euro, just a couple in the front and a working set of molars on one side in the back.

For South Africans and other colonials, depends on your dental plan... :-)

• 3 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...

To be a good yank, so many and so bleached you can barely close your mouth... to be a good Brit or Euro, just a couple in the front and a working set of molars on one side in the back.

For South Africans and other colonials, depends on your dental plan... :-)

Hey, what are you trying to say?

FP79.jpg

• 2 weeks later...