News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Flammenwerfer! Flames, skulls and stuff

• 3 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...

The black skull ................ there's a blast from the past. :)

It's now 5 years since the black skull and his twin brother made their appearance ....................... and no other siblings have turned up since.

So, still only two known.

I'm sure they will be explained, some sunny day.

Here's another skull item for the thread .......................

Edited by Robin Lumsden

T

It's now 5 years since the black skull and his twin brother made their appearance ....................... and no other siblings have turned up since.

So, still only two known.

The guy who made them on sunday evenings while watching Tatort and drinking beer, thought they were too much effort for the money they earned ;-)

A Ergo, it doesn't exist.

I disagree.... a period photo exists. Ergo, the badge was worn back then.

I do not challenge the existence of Robin's badge... just when and why it was made.

I am sure we will agree that just because some badges existed unofficially back then, it is not a Carte Blanche to believe anything found on Ebay "Could and would" have been original?

If the origin of the badge had somehow been promising, but it was one of those Ebay Junk/Militaria sellers who have the same "Found in an attic/You know what you are seeing/Cant say exactly what it is/"... we all know the type...

Here is his cousin using a similar "found in a house..." description...

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Eichenlaub-Schwerter-und-Brillanten-/151318656661?pt=Militaria&hash=item233b4b7695

I also determined without question that the position of the flamethrower troops' sleeve badge identifies the unit or specialty. I did this by finally seeing photos that proved my theory. I couldn't buy them because the moronic German dealers don't sell to Americans. One priceless shot of flamethrower-regiment machine gunners went for 80 Euro, and one of flamethrower regiment grenade-launcher sqiuads went for 60 Euro. I told the dealers after my bids were blocked that I would've paid over 500 Euro for each.

So: This is fact, even though it's not written anywhere.

Badge in the middle of the sleeve cuff, flamethrower operators. Badge below the left elbow, flamethrower operators of Sturmbataillon Nr. 5 (Rohr). Badge at the top of the sleeve cuff, machine gunner. And badge overlapping the cuff and sewn halfway on the sleeve, grenade-launcher crew.

Wish I had the photos of the men with their weapons, but Germans don't like Americans these days. As a result, they're selling priceless cards for next-to-nothing.

Edited by Thomas W

I

So: This is fact, even though it's not written anywhere.

Hi Thomas,

I hope you dont take this personally, but I still think that is more theory than fact.

I cannot remember the exact opinions exchanged, but still believe that there are plenty of reasons why in one sector/Unit men did one thing, while in another they did another, both blissfully unaware that things were different elsewhere.

Once again, i am happy to see you back, hope you stay, and keep in the back of your mind, that differing opinions on Militaria are not personal insults, but rather simply differing opinions.

Robin could still date my sister, even if he believes his skulls to be wartime....

Hi Thomas,

I hope you dont take this personally, but I still think that is more theory than fact.

I cannot remember the exact opinions exchanged, but still believe that there are plenty of reasons why in one sector/Unit men did one thing, while in another they did another, both blissfully unaware that things were different elsewhere.

Once again, i am happy to see you back, hope you stay, and keep in the back of your mind, that differing opinions on Militaria are not personal insults, but rather simply differing opinions.

Robin could still date my sister, even if he believes his skulls to be wartime....

What's there be insulted about? I found the answer. Nobody has to accept it. In fact new ideas are never accepted. But that doesn't detract from the factually of the answer. All the attempts to explain away a perfectly logical and simple method of ID are the theories. I've seen the photos.

Where there were some photos they'll be others.

I couldn't buy them because the moronic German dealers don't sell to Americans. One priceless shot of flamethrower-regiment machine gunners went for 80 Euro, and one of flamethrower regiment grenade-launcher sqiuads went for 60 Euro. I told the dealers after my bids were blocked that I would've paid over 500 Euro for each.

You should do what I do with the moronic US sellers who won't sell to Europe.... Get someone to bid for you.

You should do what I do with the moronic US sellers who won't sell to Europe.... Get someone to bid for you.

I should do a lot of things.

The problem is that the mornic German dealers block the bids without telling you. The only way you find out they don't sell to the US is when you make the bid. Since I use a sniping service, having someone bid for me wouldn't work unless I had a time machine to go back to a couple of days before the bid, or if maybe I had the stopwatch from The Girl, the Gold Watch, and Everything and was able to stop time.

But thanks for the adivce, as always.

Edited by Thomas W