News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Austro-Hungarian Pilots badge-a good copy

This A/H Pilots badge showed up in a local militaria shop a few weks ago. Good enough quality to fool me but not other knowledgeable collectors. I contacted Charles and sent pictures and he in turn suggested I contact another collector who had an original badge. The response from the other colelctor was that the case did not conform to any know type and that there were several things wrong with the badge. Most noteably the pin and catch. The cased badge came with a letter, written with blue pensicl and date June 16, 1918. I have no idea what the contents of the letter are. Charles later confirmed that this badge resembled those he had seen for sale in Budapest arounf 2003/4. I was lucky in that I was able to take photos and send them to knowledgable people. I would not have bought the badge, even if it had been authentic, as 2500 Euros is out of my price range for anything.

The pictures are posted here for your perusal.

Regards,

Gordon

Hello,

I can confirm that the Feldpilotenabzeichen is a recent copy (what's the "maker's mark" struck on the Albatros' reverse?), possibly made by Horvath in Budapest. The case also is not an austrian piece.

Best wishes,

Enzo

...and that case is ridiculously big for the badge inside. It's not a very efficient use of space. If this was the Hope diamond I could understand the huge expanse of negative space around it, but this is for "just" a pilot badge.

With cases for ALL imperial era pieces, would they be from any country like Germany, France, England, etc., the item inside typically uses the space inside uniformly. It has a more pleasing look to the piece inside and does not distract from it.

Can anyone else comment on this? Does anyone know of an example where this principal is not enforced?

Edited by Claudius

• 4 weeks later...

I know nothing about these and assume this is yet another copy of the award. Beautiful to look at and the workmanship appears high end, but why would someone have the eagle/albatros facing the opposite way? Or, am I missing something?

Tim

I know nothing about these and assume this is yet another copy of the award. Beautiful to look at and the workmanship appears high end, but why would someone have the eagle/albatros facing the opposite way? Or, am I missing something?

Tim

Hi ,

Yes this is a copy the quality really is not there compared to the real thing.The enamels are wrong within the crown segments and construction methods are off.

The style of badge is legit,and was made by the Rothe company i believe.

I do have an original of this badge i believe its listed in my showcase.

all the best

steve

Any chance of a close up of the front and back? I did see one of these listed in a book on Austiran/Hungary Uniforms/Militaria etc; which shown one with this eagle facing right, but I can't find any other source that shows one. I believe this is actually titled "Field Pilot Quaification Badge"??

Tim

Any chance of a close up of the front and back? I did see one of these listed in a book on Austiran/Hungary Uniforms/Militaria etc; which shown one with this eagle facing right, but I can't find any other source that shows one. I believe this is actually titled "Field Pilot Quaification Badge"??

Tim

My Rothe example.

regards

steve

Edited by arrestanddevelopment

Beautiful badges Steve!

Interesting the way the eagle was riveted on the Rothe example. Is that normal and what to look for on originals?

I thought the one I had posted (do not own it) might have been a post-war commercial product from the 1920's. It was maker marked but, I couldn't quite make out the stamp. Sort of resembled a Meybauer logo to me.

Thanks for sharing the closeups!

Tim

Beautiful badges Steve!

Interesting the way the eagle was riveted on the Rothe example. Is that normal and what to look for on originals?

I thought the one I had posted (do not own it) might have been a post-war commercial product from the 1920's. It was maker marked but, I couldn't quite make out the stamp. Sort of resembled a Meybauer logo to me.

Thanks for sharing the closeups!

Tim

Hi,

I am no expert but i research and look and handle examples a lot over time..you learn pretty quick and get used to seeing genuine wear and tear and get a gut feeling about stuff. The Rothe examples that i have seen which i was happy about had a split pin rear,which is i believe a more costly way to retain the eagle(i may be wrong on that) I believe they would come in other fitments as well to retain the eagle. I was told my one would have been for full dress...it originally came out of a major collection .The other early version the construction is a text book example and it took me a long time to get this one as so many copies out there...hope its of help

all the best

steve