News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Queen's South Africa Medal 1899-1902

Just out of interest, how much research protentional is there for these medals?

I have a copy of the IY LSM roll, so I'll look Lawton up - though it'll only varify the medal's award date in AOs. I understand the muster rolls are at the PRO, and there's bound to be stuff in local archives, so..? I only have one of these scarce medals - to a chap in the South Notts Hussars. I looked for ages to find one of these, then a bunch cropped up. :rolleyes:

Edited by Tony Farrell

I have a copy of the IY LSM roll, so I'll look Lawton up - though it'll only varify the medal's award date in AOs. I understand the muster rolls are at the PRO, and there's bound to be stuff in local archives, so..? I only have one of these scarce medals - to a chap in the South Notts Hussars. I looked for ages to find one of these, then a bunch cropped up. :rolleyes:

Its it always the case, I`ve got the same thing with the Cheshire Yeomanry, but I`m gradually working my way threw them. I just picked up another the other day. i`ve got my eye one two Yeo LSGC`s but there both pricey. I`d want to spend a fortune only to find theres no research avenues to follow. I`ve seen a copy of the book you refer to, and I`ve put a bid on, as I`ve got a few QSA medals to men with prior service in the CY, and am curious as to whether there entitled to the LSGC?

Just out of interest, other than QSA,WW1 & WW2 does anyone own or seen a medal to a different campaign, but named to a soldier from the Yeomanry. I`m sure that theres Iraq Medals out there to the Yo, but does anyone know of any others?

• 3 weeks later...

My very first British/Commonwealth medal. A bit if a twist from the Soviet awards I collect. Issued to a private of the Lanc. Fus. so I am assuming Lancashire Fusiliers???? Are records of soldiers of the SA war available online same as the Canadian national Archives? I've paid the UK Archives website a visit but can't seem to find anything online. I am including scans of the medal.

Edited by Danny

Yes, that's Lancashire Fusiliers.

As for yeomanry medals outside of the usual spheres of major conflicts? Their very nature as territorials pretty much precludes them from anything but big time shooting matches. I understand that some yeomanry blokes were involved in the Gulf War (who'd specifically volunteered to go), but whether their medals would be named to the unit they served with or their 'home' unit I cannot say. I wouldn't be at all surprised if some are out in Iraq now - along with other significant contributions from the TA.

Bronze issue to LASCAR LUTCHMAN INDIA ORD. DEPT.

Bronzes are the classic "unsung heroes" medal: labour and transport corps, cooks and sweepers and sanitary wallahs. All the men who made living in the army bearacle for the rest!

Mahatma Ghandi served with a unit of stretcher bearers so, if he had a SA Medal I think it would have been bronze. That would be one to have! (Did he throw it back as a symbol of imperialism??)

I didn't comment on Ed's earlier posting of the silver medal with SA 1900 bar to a Lancer, Indian Army but once upon a time I tried to compile a list of such. Many sowars (troopers) went out with shipments of remounts for the cavalry and mounted infantry and seem to have stayed on in some cases as horse breakers, so this single bar issue is not too too rare.

General Roberts had two Indian orderlies who each wore 5 or 6 bar medals eventually and it's likely that other Indian troops went as individuals accompanying their British officers. Kipling has a really touching/nasty story of an ICO and the revenge he takes on a Boer household after his British officer was murdered in an ambush (under flag of truce). The story is called "A Sahib's War" if you're interested. Apparently a number of british Indian officers "took home leave" (which was typically 12 months) and set off for SA before the authorities caught on and banned it. So the Indian silvers are out there if one looks hard.

Peter

Gandhi's campaign medals (South Africa and Natal) were returned to the British at the same time as he returned his Kaisar-i-Hind Medal 1st class. As the KiH was still "current" and was unnamed, it was reissued (you have to wonder where it is now?). His campaign medals were retained in the Ministry of Defence until they went on display in the Gandhi Memorial Museum in New Delhi (where they still are). The medals on display in the Nehru Memorial Museum in New Delhi are replicas. Efforts to study his medals in detail have been unsuccessful (no one could find the key to the display case) and I shall be making a major effort again this summer. (PS- Much of what has been published on the issue of Gandhi's medals is rubbish, by the way.)

Yes, that's Lancashire Fusiliers.

As for yeomanry medals outside of the usual spheres of major conflicts? Their very nature as territorials pretty much precludes them from anything but big time shooting matches. I understand that some yeomanry blokes were involved in the Gulf War (who'd specifically volunteered to go), but whether their medals would be named to the unit they served with or their 'home' unit I cannot say. I wouldn't be at all surprised if some are out in Iraq now - along with other significant contributions from the TA.

Thanks for confirming the name of the Regiment. On the Regiment's website, I read that it participated in the battle of Spion Kop and the Relief of Ladysmith.

Efforts to study his [Gandhi's] medals in detail have been unsuccessful (no one could find the key to the display case) and I shall be making a major effort again this summer. (PS- Much of what has been published on the issue of Gandhi's medals is rubbish, by the way.)

Ed

I should have known you'd know! Luckily, I've never heard/read about his medals, so no rubbish to correct in my tiny mind. :P Good luck with the research!

• 2 weeks later...

And the KSA. As you can tell from the scans, despite how bad they are, the medal has been renamed, you can see how thin the edge is. The paper on the ribbon appears to be the original tape the ribbons had attached when issued.

Sam.

• 4 years later...

Good Morning Ladies and Gentlmen:

I thought that I would post this picture as my first post, hope that you enjoy.....

TOWNSEND, W. S.

REG. NO.: 441

REGT: LORD STRATHCONA'S HORSE

BARS: NATAL, ORANGE FREE STATE, BELFAST, SOUTH AFRICA 1901

Mike

• 6 years later...
    On ‎2006‎/‎02‎/‎04 at 21:15, Garth Thompson said:

Bronze issue to LASCAR LUTCHMAN INDIA ORD. DEPT.

image0_4.jpg

image0_5.jpg

image0_4.jpg

image0_5.jpg

There is a good chance this man was a casualty of the Boer War.

Luchman served with the Indian Ordnance Corps at Ladysmith as a 2nd Class Lascar. His son, Rane Ibass, aged 10 received a pension of Rs 28.8, payable by Britain for 12 years. From the Punjab.

AG/26/11/2 (Folio 14)

WO 100/298 p 3a

Unfortunately there are two men with this name on the rolls