News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Austrian Pilot Ferenc Bakay

Greetings all;

Recently I have had contact with a fellow looking for his father. Since the Austro-Hungarian empire is not my strong suit I though maybe the information might spark some interest here. We are evidently looking for information on a fellow assigned to the landbased K.U.K. Navy

"Dear Sir, I am trying to secure records concerning my father, Frank (Ferenc) Bakay who served in World War I.

Date of Birth: May 18, 1888

Place of Birth: Budapest, Hungary (Austria)

Military Service:

Austrian-Hungary Navy 1910 - 1914

Austrian-Hungary Air Force 1914 - 1918

Military Medals awarded in Triest, Hungary (Austria) 1916

Karl Truppenkreux (Karl Cross) for all troops (Austrian)

6 yrs. long service cross

Large Silver Bravery Medal 1st Class

Commemoration Cross (Balkan Crisis) 1912-1913

These are the medals (with attached ribbons) that I am trying to locate. Replicas or originals will be considered.

I would appreciate if you could obtain any information on my father's war records. These medals were obtained under the Order Nr. 47/1916 issued at December 18, 1916 by the K.U.K. Navy Headquarters. My father was stationed at Naval Air Force base in Triest, Austria.

I look forward to hearing from you."

Reviews on how to do

http://www.WWI-N-Plastic.com

Guest Rick Research

From the awards, a noncommissioned officer, so that could be tough. Also, despite the Hungarian names, which of the successor states did he actually end up living in after 1918?

The Heeresgeschuchtliches Museum in Vienna or the Kriegsarchiv there have many "Belohnungsantr?ge" citations for WW1 decorations (such as the bravery medal) BUT the files were largely divvied up after the war and sent to the new post-Hapburg countries, unless the person stayed in republican Austria. Given what happened to Budapest in January 1945, no idea what if anything survived of records there.

Depending on WHEN awarded, the Bravery Medal could be a Franz Joseph or Karl type,

Scans of most of these awards can be found pictured down in the Central Powers subforum by typing in a search on the names of the awards.

From the awards, a noncommissioned officer, so that could be tough. Also, despite the Hungarian names, which of the successor states did he actually end up living in after 1918...Scans of most of these awards can be found pictured down in the Central Powers subforum by typing in a search on the names of the awards.

Sincerest thanks Rick Research;

I may post this off to the individual in question tonight. Panzerman speaks very highly of you. Glad to hear from you. StephenLawson

• 17 years later...

The man in your discussion Ferenc "Frank" Bakay.  This man is my grandfather.  I am also looking for any type of records.

What I do know is he came to the usa on 8/30/1921 at the age of 33.  He boarded a ship in Liverpool called Scythia.

I believed  he live in the 15th district of Budapest called Rakospalota. Ferenc "Frank" Bakay father name is Floris Bakay.

Perhaps the lived in the same house back just before the war.

I do not know were or how to begin.   Any help would be fantastic.  I am currently doing my own family tree.

Thank you Jay Bakay

usa cell phone 973 632 8385