News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Photo of Great Grandad James Carter born 1861

Born in the U.K, in about 1861, Iden, Sussex,we cannot find anything on our Great Grandad, picture quality doesn't help I know, but I am new to this site, just learning, Kind regards Jeanette Newton.

Edited by Jeanette

The spur badge on the upper arm shows that he was a ?rough rider?,riding instructor, remount trainer, but in terms of qualification, not regiment -.introduced in 1865, in 1881 it was the badge for rough riders of cavalry, Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers & Army Servce Corps / Commissariat & Transport Corps (in 1881 RA were to wear the spur neck down, changed the following year to neck up).

Looks like a Victorian Crown above the spur, I can?t make out the badge between the spur & the chevrons, a portcullis? St George & the dragon?

The four chevrons I?ll let Graham identify the rank, it varied over time.

Introduced in 1869, the crown over crossed rifles was worn in that position on the right arm by sergeants of the best shooting company in each infantry regiment, it was worn in other positions on the arms over time to denote different things ? something else for Graham to clear up, the positioning of the badge as per infantry on a cavalryman.

Thank you so much for the trouble you took to reply, I am thrilled, this is the most we have ever known about James Carter.The badge between the the spur and chevrons, my son thought it was a winged horse, but am wondering whether Dragon might be correct, I will look up Portcullis as not sure what that looks like. Do you think these are the more likely Badges for him?, I would love to know if he actually fought or was just an instructor, as I know nothing of the life he may of lead. I understand it is hard to look up service records in this field. It is a shame the picture isn't more clear, we always tried to make out the Badge between the spur and chevrons, we wondered if there were many for that era?,hoping to narrow it down!!.

My Grandad told me, his Dad loved horses, unfortunately James Carter died in about 1916 when my Grandad was about 8 years old., he was a Stevedore then, he fell into a dry dock, so sad, but that is all we know,his poor wife had about 10 children to bring up on her own!.She , Alice Maria took to cobbling just to survive. We only know that in 1901 he was living in West Ham, so we gather he must have left the army before that time, what time frame we have no idea. But, thank you so much, I know my Mum and Dad will be thrilled when I show them your reply this morning, my Mum is James Carter's grandaughter, shame she never got to know him.

All input is greatly received, every person has a story to be told,when I look at him, I can only wonder, but gratefully you have given me some idea. Once again thank you, Kind regards Mrs. Jeanette Newton.

I think he's wearing a stable jacket and not his full dress tunic. I also think there are several indications of his being a hussar (either regular army or yeomanry). The cuff knot is not the typical full-dress Austrian knot, but closer to this: http://www.britishempire.co.uk/forces/army...ssarsstable.htm It might be described as typical cuff piping as in any branch, even the infantry, but gussied up in a way that to me bespeaks hussar.

Notice also that the buttons are small and round - something not found on full dress except for hussars (but as I said, I don't think this is full dress; full dress for a hussar would have braid all across the chest in several rows).

I think he's wearing a stable jacket and not his full dress tunic. I also think there are several indications of his being a hussar (either regular army or yeomanry). The cuff knot is not the typical full-dress Austrian knot, but closer to this: http://www.britishempire.co.uk/forces/army...ssarsstable.htm It might be described as typical cuff piping as in any branch, even the infantry, but gussied up in a way that to me bespeaks hussar.

Notice also that the buttons are small and round - something not found on full dress except for hussars (but as I said, I don't think this is full dress; full dress for a hussar would have braid all across the chest in several rows).

thank you so much for your input on this, everything helps!!! Did they have Hussars in England?,I not very knowledgeable on the subject.

Kind regards Mrs. J. Newton.

• 4 weeks later...