News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Interesting French WWI Postcard

buellmeister

Gents,

Found this postcard at a local Flea market and decided upon taking this one home. It seems to have a pretty detailed script on the back. May I call upon the French speaking Forumites to give me a hand with the translation. From what I can decipher it may be interesting... Though, I have been wrong before... Thanks in advance for any help one can provide.

Regards,

Joel

Edited by buellmeister

Guest Rick Research

Too small. Can't see. Need Epson scanner. :catjava::cheeky:

It's to Dear Sister and reports being at the depot since...

Things going well, not tired (enjoys what he is doing?) ....

It's a letter to his sister but unfortunately still too small to make out some of the words. If worst comes to worst due to the max size allowed per picture per post, scan it bigger and cut it in 2 and insert in 2 posts.

Here's what I could read:

My dear sister,

I have been back at the depot since 15 November without permission (to leave) or contacts so I still haven't been able to go to Foulain. I am relegated in the Ance by the reform counsel of Antibes and employed in the office of the Mayor in Coilie this is better than drill.

I am feeling much better. I am not tired anymore, I only have to do what I can.

Marguerite came with Jean on the Tuesday following my arrival which really pleased me. Sunday she brought me clothes because I use much. I am covered in lice, this kind of bird is not amusing. Since she forgot your letter to me, she is sending it today. You don't say if you're feeling better, are you still sick? Answer me quickly. You must know the news from Foulain there's no need to talk to you about it. I don't know when I'll be able to get a 4 day pass, it's the Devil to get anything even though I have the right to 7 and 4 I have nothing.

Anyway, one must otherwise be content; if I still have some time to be peaceful one must not stir things up.

I leave you now my dear little sister and kiss/embrace you with all my heart.

Your dear brother -?-

I've added in blue what I could decipher (75%+ probability) following Michael's blow up.

Edited by TacHel

Hello TacHel

Nice job translating this very true to type mail.. Not all that easy !

The word "vaguemestre" is typical of French military linguo : the vaguemestre in a unit (generally battallion level) is responsible for receiving and delivering mail to its men. In other words, he is a military postman. He would therefore have an office at H.Q.s in order to receive the out-going mail and prepare delivery within the unit. This is where this man has found a cushy job.

And not the MAYOR of course. The confusion may have been between the words VAGUEMESTRE and BOURGMESTRE who is sometimes used for MAYOR.

Best regards.

Veteran

Edited by Veteran

Here's a better view of the front of the card.

Here's the other half.

Lots of casualties in the 31st Chasseurs ? Pied. Here is the Jerome listed (not a complete list)

Jerome Bonneau - September 7, 1916

Also found this - A friend of my grandfather - the photo comes from a newspaper clipping the family saved.

Edited by Michael Johnson

Hello TacHel

Nice job translating this very true to type mail.. Not all that easy !

The word "vaguemestre" is typical of French military linguo : the vaguemestre in a unit (generally battallion level) is responsible for receiving and delivering mail to its men. In other words, he is a military postman. He would therefore have an office at H.Q.s in order to receive the out-going mail and prepare delivery within the unit. This is where this man has found a cushy job.

And not the MAYOR of course. The confusion may have been between the words VAGUEMESTRE and BOURGMESTRE who is sometimes used for MAYOR.

Best regards.

Veteran

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I couldn't make out the first half of the word, only the second part and wrongly deduced it was BOURGMESTRE. But even if it had been crystal clear, I was unfamiliar with the term VAGUEMESTRE. Thank you for that info! Very enlightening!

Merci!