News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Italy - Orders, Decorations and Medals

• 3 weeks later...

I heard some time ago from another collector that the rich blue center on the obverse were dated to be the oldest examples and later came the light blue. No answer to when this change took place. I can only confirm what he says by viewing a Franco-Prussian group that surprisingly had a Italian Officer Crown (rich blue enamel center) with what looked to be the orginal thick hand stitched rosette. Hope it helps.

Hello,

the royal monograms gold-embossed on the cases, as pictured in the above post, are correctly referring resp. to king Victor Emanuel II (as 1st King of Italy), then king Humbert I (killed in 1900 by an anarchist) and king Victor Emanuel III. It appears evident the calligraphic difference between the monograms of both Victor Emanuels. The last king of Italy, Humbert II, rarely used monogrammed cases: I personally know a case of a Commander's Cross of the Order of the Crown of Italy, awarded early in 1946, without any royal cypher.

The colour of the centre medallion: while it is sure that a cross with pale blue enamelled obverse centre medallion is an early piece, this cannot be a rule with dark blue enamelled centres: those made by the turin firm of Messrs. Pernetti are usually with dark blue enamelled obverse medallions, and such Turin-made pieces are the earliest of all.

The florentine jewellers Fratelli Borani were the official suppliers for this order in the short period when the capital city of Italy moved from Turin to Florence. Borani, after 1870, moved to Rome, opening his jewellery shop: this firm, later became Cravanzola and, later, Gardino.

Early insignia of the Crown Order are characterized by thicker Savoy knots, while later ones have the knots made by thinner gold wire. Pieces made in Turin earlier than 1870 are often struck with an "eagle's head" mark (meaning the manufacture in gold).

Best wishes,

Elmar Lang

Edited by Elmar Lang

• 2 months later...

I have this mini-group with the Order of the Crown, Merito di Guerra, Commemorativa della Guerra 1915-1918 and Victory Medal.

Two Palms on 15/18 commemorative medal ribbon with the letters "A" and "L"

what it means?

112.JPG

I would like help from friends.

All the Best

Lambert

Edited by lambert

They simply are two laurel branches of the Belgian "Croix de Guerre" with the monogram of the kings Albert and Leopold.

The Italian WW1 commemorative medals should have the bars with the years from 1915 to 1918 and the bar "Albania".

Best wishes,

Elmar Lang

They simply are two laurel branches of the Belgian "Croix de Guerre" with the monogram of the kings Albert and Leopold.

The Italian WW1 commemorative medals should have the bars with the years from 1915 to 1918 and the bar "Albania".

Best wishes,

Elmar Lang

Thans Elmar!

Yes I know that the bars Originals medal ..

Does the Italian soldier, fought in France or Belgium?

Lambert

• 2 weeks later...
    • 11 years later...
    • 1 month later...
    On 08.06.2022 at 10:44, Elmar Lang said:

Прекрасные, оригинальные изделия, изделие слева тоже дополнено оригинальной лентой.

Различные петли подвески указывают на двух разных производителей.

С наилучшими пожеланиями,

Enzo (E.L.)

according to my suggestions, Judging by the numbers of the certificates, in the first two years after the establishment, about 115 thousand crosses were awarded, before the fall of the fascist dictatorship another 45 thousand, in April 1943 the document was numbered 156700.

672878_original.jpg

• 1 month later...
    • 3 months later...
    • 4 weeks later...

Admiral Yates Stirling, Jr

Yates Stirling Jr. (April 30, 1872 – January 27, 1948) was a decorated and controversial rear admiral in the United States Navy whose 44-year career spanned from several years before the Spanish–American War to the mid-1930s. He was awarded the Navy Cross and French Legion of Honor for distinguished service during World War I. The elder son of Rear Admiral Yates Stirling, he was an outspoken advocate of American sea power as a strong deterrent to war and to protect and promote international commerce. 

image.jpeg.2701d19466565207eb417c591aaf5bad.jpeg

On 31/12/2022 at 13:08, Sal said:

Admiral Yates Stirling, Jr

Yates Stirling Jr. (April 30, 1872 – January 27, 1948) was a decorated and controversial rear admiral in the United States Navy whose 44-year career spanned from several years before the Spanish–American War to the mid-1930s. He was awarded the Navy Cross and French Legion of Honor for distinguished service during World War I. The elder son of Rear Admiral Yates Stirling, he was an outspoken advocate of American sea power as a strong deterrent to war and to protect and promote international commerce. 

image.jpeg.2701d19466565207eb417c591aaf5bad.jpeg

Thanks for sharing.  I will have to look him up