Hello gents,

I will show you the "Bundesverdienstorden" or sometimes also called the "Bundesverdienstkreuz" of the Federal Republic of Germany.

This decoration was issued on 07.09.1951 and signed by president Mr. Theodor Heuss.

I start with the lowest of 8 classes. In international range they call the class -medaille-

Die Verdienstmedaille - Medal of Merit

On the left side you find the ladies items.

In the middle the miniature.

On the right side you see the decorations for man.

Diameter of the medal = 38 mm, by the miniature it is 16 mm.

The ribbon is 30 mm, by the miniature it is 15 mm.

The ribbon bar is 25 mm.

Hope that you enjoy it

The next class is coming soon.

Hello gents this is step number 2,

I will show you the "Bundesverdienstorden" or sometimes also called the "Bundesverdienstkreuz" of the Federal Republic of Germany.

Now I come to the the second-lowest of 8 classes. In international range they call the class -knight-

Das Verdienstkreuz - Cross of Merit

On the right side you see the decorations for men.

Size of the cross = 47 mm for ladies, or 55 mm for men, by the miniature it is 16 mm.

The ribbon is 30 mm, by the miniature it is 15 mm.

The ribbon bar is 25 mm.

Hope that you enjoy it

• 3 months later...

Hello gents this is step number 3,

Now I come to the the third-lowest of 8 classes. In international range they call the class -officer-

Das Verdienstkreuz 1, Klasse - Cross of Merit First Class

On the right side you see the decorations for men.

Size of the cross = 47 mm for ladies, or 55 mm for men, by the miniature it is 16 mm.

There is no ribbon for the cross because there is a kind of brooch for fixing.

The miniature ribbon is again 15 mm.

The ribbon bar is 25 mm.

Hope that you enjoy it

• 3 weeks later...

Hello TacHel,

thanks for your interest.

I think in case of different suppliers and production-lots (since 60 years), the color is always a bit different if you see 2 items side by side.

The base-color-material, and the way of production has also changed during the times.

The lightnig could be a problem. But the items are a bit different in natural.

So you have good eyes for checking these products. cheers.gif

The official discription of the color is RAL 3000 (should be similar). So this means usual?

Hope you understand my english.

Thanks for aour arguments.

Best regards

Elvis

Is it the lighting or is the red of the crosses quite darker than usual?

Your English is impeccable my friend.

Below are mine, hence my question as to the red tone.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_11_2009/post-3030-12579598015.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_11_2009/post-3030-125795980931.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_11_2009/post-3030-125795981834.jpg

Does the darker on yours usually denote an older or later award?

I can find no maker's mark on any of the 3 displayed in my previous post.

The Merit Cross 1st class and Merit Medal both came as is without a case.

The Merit Cross 2nd on the other hand is cased. The inscription on the back of the case: C.E. JUNCKER, BERLIN SO 36

I also just noticed the marked differences in the ribbon of your and my Cross 2nd class. Is my cross on the wrong ribbon?

Edited by TacHel

Hallo TacHel,

thanks for your kind answer. rolleyes.gif

You get information from "red eagle" - he is an expert in this field.

I think junker was producing in the 19fifties and 19sixties.

Steinhauer is running with this product from beginng until today (arround 60 years).

Both of them are not able to do it in the same style and color as bevor - during the time period.

Your models are also older than the other ones, but yours are still correct.

The "50"-year items is a bit seldom. Keep it in your collection.

Thanks for that nice discussion.

Elvis

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

In my opinion, this cross was made by Bender.

Actual price in the Bender shop: 16,80 Euro

http://www.ordenthw.de/shop/shop.php?mode=show_detail&lang=de&group=52&sid=1f821d389de004921639518d0174da6b&s=&id=200

Its not an issued piece, because only St&L pieces be awarded actually.

Regards

Red

Some crosses with the clasp "50" are on the medal ribbon. So, it is all ok with your crosses.

Regards

Red

In what circumstance would this happen?

Below is the latest addition to my collection.:love:

This question, I ask to the Ordenskanzlei in the Bundespräsidialkanzlei.

But they dont have a answer for this question.

We know that this ribbon was issued. But we dont know some about an official reason.

Red

"THEY" don't know? :o:(

Well... I'm now seriously considering changing the ribbon... What do you think?

• 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Very nice.

And I too love your site, particularly as I am now working on the German section of my site... alas there are not many modern German items coming up for sale with the various dealers/auction houses which permit me to use their catalogues, so I am relying on collectors (thank you Frank!), but a few have come up like these on Dix Noonan Webb in their last (10 December 2014) auction:

Großes Verdienstkreuz mit Stern und Schulterband if I am not mistaken.

The search continues... but at least I know what I am looking for after consulting your site, Uwe.

The Bundesverdienstkreuz is usually not awarded for military deeds. These are Germanys only military decorations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badge_of_Honour_of_the_Bundeswehr

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundeswehr_Cross_of_Honour_for_Valour

Concerning the Bundesverdienstkreuz:

Usually high ranking officers (Generals) get the Verdienstkreuz am Bande or Verdienstkreuz 1. Klasse as a service decoration, but it´s not normally awarded to the armed forces.