News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

POLICE MODELS FOR COLLECTORS

I have a number of sets of items in the collection which will be better shown, some at a time. This is the first of some good Police models and shows the first Metropolitan Police Officer in 1829. I think these are Stadden's - the famous model makers and are in pewter. He is accurately modelled and shows the top hat of the period , a lantern, his rattle and on his left hip is his truncheon - they were carried in a leather case at that time.

I will add another piece to start and, it would be good if anyone else can add as we go along.

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

Liverpool Police MG - until I saw this model I had no idea any Police Force had used sports cars. I think this is the MG - TD model, so would date from the 1950's ? There is a Society for collectors with interest in old police vehicles.

• 2 weeks later...

Fine model of a Metropolitan Police Mounted Branch Officer. The mounted branch dates from the 1805 period when they were know as the Bow Street Mounted Patrol - it was not until the late 1830's that they became part of the Met.. Whilst they do an 8 hour shift - only half of that is on patrol - the rest is looking after the horse. They are great favourites with the public - and when I was younger you could give them something to eat, if the officer gave permission. This is totally forbidden today - anti-police people were trying to feed them with razor blades and nails concealed ! A sad World...

This shows the long stave - or, truncheon which the mounted branch carried for years. Always known as a ' sabre' it was approx. 3' 6" long(105cm)

and was made from Ash - bound with a special twine. There was a leather guard for the knuckles. I believe that they have been dis-continued and they only use the 17'' truncheon - but, this has also gone - so, are they only armed now with that metal expanding 'thing'?

Watch the footage of the Grosvener Square riots - I don't think the mounted officers used the "long" staves at all, but used the short truncheon, with the obvious drawbacks of having to lean dow & being off balanced & more prone to grabbing & dragging down by rioters.

The result of goodness knows how many years of "minimum force" indoctrination & lack of training in use of such aggressive weaponry I suppose.

Leigh - one of the penalties with the Met. Police is that if you were an inner division, you got called out. I was in both Grosvenor Sq. riots - absolutely frightening ! We would be getting on well with the crowd - then cameras would arrive and they changed into savages. We were all hurt to some degree. I can also remember The Strand - them running at us and shouting ' Ho,Ho, Ho Chi Minh'. We were always outnumbered and didn't have the protective clothing available now - just normal uniform and helmet - we used to charge shouting - ' Ho,Ho, up the Met. you're dead meat'. Made us feel better !! I wonder if I'm on film - 'H' Div was always on the right of the Embassy (if you were facing it)

Talking of chanting by protesters my favourite of all time was policing the veal crate demos down at Shoreham in Sussex when the demonstrators would stand outside Mcdonalds and chant 'Fillet of fish, evil dish'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A very emotive subject for demonstration but we couldn't help smiling when they sang. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

These are an unusual set of Police models. I used to know one of the sales staff for the company that made them - I think it was Stadden's - and he arranged for me to buy these three.

They are for Sussex Police - Metropolitan Police and Kent Police. They were made to great detail and hand painted - their purpose being to be given by the Chief Constable or, in the Met. The Commissioner - as a memento to visiting VIP's or High ranking Police. I don't think they were ever for sale.

I will show in following pictures the detail around the base of the Kent one.

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

• 2 weeks later...

Another pair in the Stadden series. Very nicely cast in white metal - but, obviously not painted like the presentation ones. These models are good to have in a collection as they are accurate and show details of uniforms and equipment from the 1980's. PC and a London Traffic Warden. This is the hat Leigh referred to when talking WPC's pre-bowler pattern.

Not in the same league as the previous models - these are still police collectables. The rabbit P.C. is obviously based on Peter Rabbit from Beatrix Potter - made by Royal Doulton in the 1990's, it will be a valuable piece in year's to come. (this one and the next two, I showed on Lounge - but, they really belong here).

• 5 years later...

Here's two items I picked up over the years....which at the time I had to have when i spotted them....The first, a bust of City of London pc, the second a set of figures depicting the uniforms of the New York City Police

20150802_112339-1.jpg

nypd fig.jpg

Edited by Dublin Peeler
    duplication