News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Patriotic War 1st

OK...maybe a stupid question...but what was once quite a fairly simple award to find has now dried up compared to only a short time ago.

I always considered these awards as the most attractive and available at a good price (my opinion)

I consider this an omen for other medals.

I found these two recently for 150 Euro on a German site of all places...a bit damaged but well worth it I consider.

Just a few pondering thoughts on this attractive award.

Chris

1st class was never that plentifull or common.

They are still around and I see them on ebay constantly. It's a matter of how much you're willing to pay for one.

I used to buy them for $75 (my first one) to $150 (last time I bought one) and now they are in the $250 range with one sold last night at $350!!!

Rusty.

I tend to use the main Soviet dealers as combat indicators for my judgement on prices and availability...(350,000 of the Ist class were issued so they should be common if compared to the numbers of other awards.)

I talk in terms of their availability on comparative terms with yesteryear and today..... I used to always find them quite easily in these parts...but now very expensive compared to prices of old and I agree..not an every day item...but easily found compared to today...now they are not.

I hate to think how much what was an everyday item will cost in ten years time.

I saw that guards badges from ww2 going for 90 Dollars on a US site.

I don't indulge in ebay and I agree anything is easy to find if you have the money.

I found this Guards Majors Group 3 years ago for 200 dollars with docs and other medals...oh happy days...and to think at the time I oommed and ahhhed...

I have used the Pat Wars as a Mcdonalds index on availablity and prices...

Chris

Edited by Chris S

I haven't had a problem finding them. I just bought eight from the Baltics for a very reasonable price. The seller had a good number more - I just couldn't afford to buy them all!

Dave

I live in the Baltics...please tell me where....they use European and USA prices now at least.....I find prices here now more expensive than USA.

Chris

Edited by Chris S

• 4 months later...

OK...maybe a stupid question...but what was once quite a fairly simple award to find has now dried up compared to only a short time ago.

I always considered these awards as the most attractive and available at a good price (my opinion)

I consider this an omen for other medals.

I found these two recently for 150 Euro on a German site of all places...a bit damaged but well worth it I consider.

Just a few pondering thoughts on this attractive award.

Chris

Heres one on ebay now: But a I don't think so :speechless:

Serial number conviently soldered over, no way to research it now.

Seller Sates on Ebay:

This is a really fantastic Soviet Russian order - the Order of the Patriotic War 1st Class!

This award purportedly was awarded to a Romanian General by the Soviets in 1945! I cannot guarantee that, but I can tell you that it came from a Romanian medal dealer from Romania, so the story is fairly valid!

You'll note that this beauty is in terrific condition, as it was probably only worn on parade and formal occasions! It still has a light gilding to the reverse, rarely ever seen on these awards as it's the first part to be worn off!

The wildest thing about this award is that it was very professionally converted from screwback to pinback, obviously by a very experienced and high quality jeweler! The pin and catch both appear to be same quality of gold as the star on the order itself. Definately not some cheezy "field" conversion, but a real, professional conversion for a high-end general who wanted only the best!

Edited by rboomsma

Heres one on ebay now: But a I don't think so :speechless:

Serial number conviently soldered over, no way to research it now.

Seller says:

This is a really fantastic Soviet Russian order - the Order of the Patriotic War 1st Class!

This award purportedly was awarded to a Romanian General by the Soviets in 1945! I cannot guarantee that, but I can tell you that it came from a Romanian medal dealer from Romania, so the story is fairly valid!

The wildest thing about this award is that it was very professionally converted from screwback to pinback, obviously by a very experienced and high quality jeweler! The pin and catch both appear to be same quality of gold as the star on the order itself. Definately not some cheezy "field" conversion, but a real, professional conversion for a high-end general who wanted only the best!

Edited by rboomsma

I think I saw that on a Good dealers site recently....I see nothing wrong with it...the awardee has done a nice job in changing the attachment structure...

It is a pity the number is unreadable.

Chris

Edited by Chris S

If it is Daves, then I beleive it is what he was told.

But there is no way to prove what he was told, so it adds no value or history.

And yes it was done very professionally but why the heck did they do it right over the serial number, they could have done it on an angle and left the serial intact.

This OGPW is Dave's.

I believe it was from a Romanian general. ???

Rusty.

Edited by rboomsma

If it is Daves, then I beleive it is what he was told.

And yes it was done very professionally but why the heck did they do it right over the serial number, they could have done it on an angle and left the serial intact.

Because the awardee was a soldier and not a collector.

Chris

I purchased this from a Romanian medals dealer who happened to have this award. I originally bought it with the intention of removing the pin and getting the number off of it for research, but from the outcry on here against that and because of the fact that I... ahem... kind of spent our mortgage money for the month... :speechless: buying out a Soviet uniform collection, I need to raise some cash pretty quick. Since this one isn't researchable as-is, it's being sold under my "last in, first out" theory - it's the latest award I got in, and thus the first to go before I can get attached to it.

As for the story of it being awarded to a Romanian general, I think I state in the auction that there's no way to prove that, but it's an interesting story nevertheless. From what I know:

-I bought it from a Romanian medals dealer

-Who bought it from "the family of the general"

-The general also had a Kutuzov 2nd likewise converted to pinback

-The conversion job is about a million times nicer than ANYTHING I've seen that was a "field conversion" or "convieience alteration" from screwback to pinback (and I've owned quite a few of those over the past 15 years I've been collecting Soviet awards)

-And only a non-Soviet would stick a pin catch right over the serial number... A Soviet would (should) have to prove that his awards were owned by him - and thus carry the order book, but a Romanian (or at least a non-Soviet) wouldn't need to.

So, all things considered, there's a great chance that it was awarded to who the guy said it was awarded to. It's purely up to the buyer if they want to believe it or not, and the award is priced significantly below that of a comparable one with the screwpost still attached.

Just my thoughts !

Dave

Hello Dave I was not trying to make you sound like a story teller.

But on ebayer sellers are always coming up with some story that you can't prove is true.

I when I was told it was yours, I have no doubt it is true, :beer: too bad you have to remove the pin to try to have it researched. Probley more trouble than it is worth.

I purchased this from a Romanian medals dealer who happened to have this award. I originally bought it with the intention of removing the pin and getting the number off of it for research, but from the outcry on here against that and because of the fact that I... ahem... kind of spent our mortgage money for the month... :speechless: buying out a Soviet uniform collection, I need to raise some cash pretty quick. Since this one isn't researchable as-is, it's being sold under my "last in, first out" theory - it's the latest award I got in, and thus the first to go before I can get attached to it.

As for the story of it being awarded to a Romanian general, I think I state in the auction that there's no way to prove that, but it's an interesting story nevertheless. From what I know:

-I bought it from a Romanian medals dealer

-Who bought it from "the family of the general"

-The general also had a Kutuzov 2nd likewise converted to pinback

-The conversion job is about a million times nicer than ANYTHING I've seen that was a "field conversion" or "convieience alteration" from screwback to pinback (and I've owned quite a few of those over the past 15 years I've been collecting Soviet awards)

-And only a non-Soviet would stick a pin catch right over the serial number... A Soviet would (should) have to prove that his awards were owned by him - and thus carry the order book, but a Romanian (or at least a non-Soviet) wouldn't need to.

So, all things considered, there's a great chance that it was awarded to who the guy said it was awarded to. It's purely up to the buyer if they want to believe it or not, and the award is priced significantly below that of a comparable one with the screwpost still attached.

Just my thoughts !

Dave

Hello Dave I was not trying to make you sound like a story teller.

But on ebayer sellers are always coming up with some story that you can't prove is true.

I when I was told it was yours, I have no doubt it is true, :beer: too bad you have to remove the pin to try to have it researched. Probley more trouble than it is worth.

I wish I could... I'm very tempted to do it but common sense and money are two things pulling me away from that. :blush: If it doesn't sell, I might... just might... take the plunge... maybe... :unsure: How cool would it be that it was actually awarded to a Romanian general?

I was just notified that I have several Ukazes coming in for awards to Americans and Brits, so they are possible to research!

Dave

iv only ever seen one 1st class here in dublin and that was 4 years ago and i bought it! payed wwwwwaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy to much for it (i knew it then and i know it now!) but i love it to bits so its gonig no where!(how much you ask well eeerrrr ?200 irish pounds bout ?280 nowadays!) :beer:

I don't know, every major Soviet dealer has them available for sale.... they aren't all gone from what I can see?

I know one major dealer has at least three or four researched ones that he doesn't have listed on his website... I know this because he bought them from me at the SOS. :blush:

Dave