News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Question about maker marks

Hi Gents

I have a question about maker marks and there relation to jewelers. Were all the jewelers that have their names on cases, medal bars and other related items also the manufacturers of the Iron Cross or merely retailers?

If the answer is yes and they were the makers, we collectors should be able to gather a database of names on the forum and try to solve the mystery behind the marks.

I know a lot of you have EK2 medal bars with jeweler names on the reverse and likewise named cases. Do you think we can post all the different names on a thread for reference?

It's a surprisingly complicated subject. A lot of manufacturers were well known Jewellers, some were retailers, some dedicated to medal production like Klein and Quenzer who originally made watch chains. A definitive list is difficult to achieve as often a new or unidentifiable mark crops up or a cross that doesn't fit into the mold. SOme marks are open to speculation as to who they relate to. There's plenty of reference about and a lot of knowledge on this site ref. makers etc. George's link above, The Kaiser Bunker, is an excellent resource.

Glenn.

It is a difficult area to identify and quite a challenge. Kaiserbunker is a good site but I understand that their list is quite erroneous from what I've been told? I thought that with all the items that we have here on GMIC that we might be able to improve on what is already out there. I've seen medal bars with jeweler names and a few issue packets with the same. It can only help the hobby if we all post what we have that is marked by a jeweler for cross reference.

Until a group of us decide to go to Berlin personally for a beer drinking, I mean investigation at the Bundesarchiv that is :beer:

Chris

I'm alive again.......and I'm late :rolleyes: .Tonys page is a very good reference for Uniforms and helmets-but there are quite a lfew questionable makers listed. A while ago I've started to collect all clearly readable markings at the SDA forum. Just the markings,not the core ore frame variations.In the next step I will try to collect pictures of the markings.Gentlemen-you should think about that we don't know more than a hand full makers! Every thing else is pure speculation! Same at the 1st class-which makers are really identified? Maybe CD800,or Hansen and Godet. the lonly "G" could be Godet-but can we be sure? is S-W really Sy and Wagner? And WS...Wagner&Sohn? Why the scratch mark "W" at all other awards and "WS" at the iron crosses?.The imperial iron crosses are my main collecting field and I hav to say we don't know anything about the makers behind the markings.Even "KO",the major producer(or retailer,who knows) is to the day unknown.......

Micha

Well said Micha. This seems to be the only area that hasn't been REALLY researched for some reason. There is a lot of knowledge on the forums and members from all over the world, I'm sure with the collective help of everyone we could at least put a sizable dent into the mystery of these maker/jeweler marks.

I've seen a lot of posts from members who have manufacturer named medal bars for instance, maybe this would be a starting point by starting a thread for these to compare with known marks?

The other alternative would be, I think, to pay a visit to the Bundesarchiv, I'm not even sure if they would have the records, but they must exist somewhere.

I haven't had much success finding any info online except for an interesting site about hallmarks in general http://www.medalnet.net/Hallmarks.htm

A very difficult challenge I'm sure, but not impossible.

• 3 years later...
    • 2 years later...