News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

White Spanish (General) Merit Cross

Tim B

Here's a new item for me and I have some questions for the more knowledgeable on Spanish awards.

- Understand the "white" cross is normally for peacetime award but, was it also awarded for non-combat service during wartime?

- Looking at the crown style, I assume this is a Franco era piece? When did the Franco era design change?

- The red stripes on the cross arms denote that a stipend was authorized to the person, so I assume either a retirement or service-related disability type award for Spanish members and not foreign personnel (I/E: Legion Condor).

- The enamel quality is not as refined as some other pieces I have seen that were manufactured for the Spanish Civil War era. Is this then a later "Franco" era manufactured piece?

- Normally I have seen plain smooth reverse sides. Has anybody seen one of these with this pebble-style reverse?

Many thanks for any information/assistance.

Tim

Hello Tim,

It?s a Franco era piece, and a late one. The quality of the early types is much, much better (enamel and details), as you can see on your other cross (red).

These pieces are from the late 1930?s to about 1975, or even later, until 1977 (transition period).

I?ve never seen any pebble-style reverse. Only plain or enamel reverse in the better finished types.

I hope it helps a bit. You know the rest.

Regards,

Dolfek.

Hi guys!

Thanks for the confirmation. I had that crown PIC as well Scott; think Jacques posted it many years ago on another forum. I really can't argue for $16. but the quality isn't what it used to be and the pebbled back made me question it as perhaps a later issue piece. I'll know more once I have it in hand.

Tim :cheers: