News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Arabic mystery..

kimj

Well it's mystery for me. Perhaps someone can help id this?

The text on the front is:

Al Sharaf

Al Akhlas

Honor

Faithful

Back:

J Sh

This could mean army. Translations are not great as they go Kurd-Arabic-Swedish-Swede-English. Some room for confusion... :rolleyes:

The seller had a bunch of Iraqi medals. Other than that there is no information. Could it be pre-Bath or just plain fake?

/Kim

I thought you might like it Ed :cheers:

Iraqi is just a quess. The only thing I know for sure is that it's VERY crude.

Looking forward to see if you can "dig" something up about my star. :beer:

/Kim

The design is obviously a crude copy of the Order of Devotion from Syria.

The obverse of the Syrian order states al-sharaf wa al-akhlaas, or "Honor and Devotion."

The reverse of the Syrian order has the letters "J . S", for al-jamhuuriyya al-suuriyya, or Syrian Republic.

On yours, that second letter is not a shiin. The three dots for a shiin are above the letter, not below. The dots there appear to be a mess-up of the single dot on the Syrian order, which is just the period between the two letters.

You can see the Syrian order here, at David Devine's site: http://rustyknight.topcities.com/Wisam.htm

• 1 month later...

Until we know more that we do at present -- on a basis of documentation and research, not guesswork -- I'd be careful about dismissing this so easily as a "fake". It could be interesting, but it might not be. A large number of things that the instant experts have dismissed have turned out to be legitimate, but in some cases this understanding has come only after the item has been trashed.

I still have no hard facts about this one. Even if it's proved bad beyond reasonable doubt I?d still keep it. I still have my poor detailed fake Iron Cross 2nd class that I got 15 years old. It keeps me reminded of the darker side of the hobby.

/Kim

• 2 years later...

I have seen the same one in Syria but could not buy it because of the price. It seems to be The Order of Devotion (probably old version?)

Al Sharaf

Al Akhlas

Honor

Faithful

Back:

J Sh

This could mean army. Translations are not great as they go Kurd-Arabic-Swedish-Swede-English. Some room for confusion... :rolleyes:

The seller had a bunch of Iraqi medals. Other than that there is no information. Could it be pre-Bath or just plain fake?

/Kim

Very nice medal

Lorenzo

So, in first, sorry for my bad english. But for realy collectors, we must learn and accepted that we not know all. Also, I say, it is no fake. I mean thats are kurdistan or every other little interest group award, that like to be free .... No man have interest to made fake, so it will be knight cross from germany! *smile* and hope more collectors made questions.

Gentlemen,

A friend has in his collection a mounted pair of medals:

Order of Civil Merit, 5th class, 1st type, i.e six pointed star.

Order of Devotion - the medal under discussion.

As the Syrian Order of Civil Merit was instituted in 1926 (revised in 1953) and the Order of Devotion instituted as the "Medaille de Devouement" in 1935 & re-charted in 1953, I would suggest that the award under discussion is indeed this Medaille de Devouement as opposed to the later re-constituted Order of Devotion.

Not very enlightening but I hope a reasonable suggestion.

Owain

A large number of things that the instant experts have dismissed have turned out to be legitimate, but in some cases this understanding has come only after the item has been trashed.

"Instant Experts"? How wonderfully arrogant.

How I wish I was all knowing and could go through life thinking "There are only facts... and opinion... and the only opinion worth anything is mine.

The flip side of the coin is... there are even more things that "Instant Experts" have said were good.... and much money was wasted.

In the case of medals, especially when big money is involved (Mot in this case I guess).... it is often better to err on te side of caution.

Gentlemen,

A friend has in his collection a mounted pair of medals:

Order of Civil Merit, 5th class, 1st type, i.e six pointed star.

Order of Devotion - the medal under discussion.

As the Syrian Order of Civil Merit was instituted in 1926 (revised in 1953) and the Order of Devotion instituted as the "Medaille de Devouement" in 1935 & re-charted in 1953, I would suggest that the award under discussion is indeed this Medaille de Devouement as opposed to the later re-constituted Order of Devotion.

Not very enlightening but I hope a reasonable suggestion.

Owain

A good working theory, Owain.

Thank you for this new information gentlemen! I really like the fact that an old thread can be brought back from the dead and spread more information. Must be a sign of the quality of our forum. :cheers:

And my question. It is hand engraving or all in made stemped? Handangraving.....! Verym very rare rare award....!

The medal is stamped not engraved.

/Kim

• 4 weeks later...

Al Sharaf

Al Akhlas

Honor

Faithful

Back:

J Sh

/Kim