News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 3 years later...
    2 hours ago, Dave Wilkinson said:

The tunics are correctly tailored to accept the armlets via two loops of material which are fitted to the lower sleeve of the tunic.

Dave.

Dave: Thank you.  Are these wide cloth loops in the cloth of the coat or thread loops in the band color?

Are the loops placed at the opposite front and back of the sleeve?  Is there a picture of these?

Sorry for all the bother but I'm setting up a display and need to know what to sew on. Thanks!

20 hours ago, filfoster said:

Dave: Thank you.  Are these wide cloth loops in the cloth of the coat or thread loops in the band color?

Are the loops placed at the opposite front and back of the sleeve?  Is there a picture of these?

Sorry for all the bother but I'm setting up a display and need to know what to sew on. Thanks!

See the attached photo. There are loops front and back of the sleeve.

Dave.

Metpol. Armlet..jpg

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

For info, Western Australia Police Force duty armband. It was not in use when I joined in 1973, also not sure when introduced but almost certainly in use by 1900 according to images of coppers of that era.

WAPOL armband 2.jpg

On 21/04/2022 at 16:37, filfoster said:

How do these attach to the sleeve to keep from sliding off?

On 21/04/2022 at 23:00, filfoster said:

Are these wide cloth loops in the cloth of the coat or thread loops in the band color?

Filfoster - until 1895 in the Metropolitan Police (at least officially) there were no loops on the tunic for the Duty Armlet, and period photos prior to this certainly show a great deal of variation in where the armlet was positioned (presumably it tended to start to be initially positioned higher on the lower part of the sleeve and gradually work itself further towards the cuff as the day wore on). This was eventually standardized so the lower edge of the  armlet sat 3 inches from the base of the cuff.

Loops I have encountered on original jackets also display variation in material and construction. Usually they are made from the same material as the jacket (so serge for serge tunics, melton for melton tunics, etc), but I have also found black cotton tape used as well (see below), also loops formed from stout blue-black sewing thread. I have included some photos with added measurements taken from a mint unused 1954 War Department Constabulary OR's jacket in my collection as it broadly follows normal Police practice. They show the back and front of the same (left arm) sleeve, with the loop aligned against the rear seam on the viewers left photo and with the loop aligned against the front seam on the viewers right photo:

Duty Loops Measurements.jpg

Edited by ayedeeyew

Ayedeeyew:  Thank you so much for this! I believe this will allow me to attach the duty band correctly. 

I hope someone may also answer the helmet plate question I have today begun in this forum. Thanks much.

The tunic sleeve has two cloth loops. The top loop on the sleeve is the one to fix the armlet to the tunic. The other loop is just used underneath to pass and hold the armlet to the tunic. The metal buckle may come with two prongs affixed to the centre bar. The prongs were used to grasp the armlet and hold it on the top loop. The modern buckles came without prongs probably as the prongs damage the armlet over time.

This buckle is without prongs but the method is the same to attach the armlet. When the armlet is removed from the buckle you will see that the centre part of the metal buckle has a gap to enable you to slip the end of the armlet onto that part of the buckle. Both outer bands of the buckle are solid bars.

Loop the other end of the armlet through the cloth loop on the underside of the arm. Bring that end up to the top cloth loop. Position the metal bar under the top of the cloth loop so that one metal bar is exposed and you can slip the loose end through the gap but emerging on that side of the cloth loop. Having passed the loose end between the metal b ar and the cloth loop bring it across the top cloth loop and pass it under the unused metal bar. If you have it right the loose end should lie beneath the armlet and not flapping free. Tighten the armlet thro’ the buckle to suit your preference.

IMG_0474.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0477.jpg

IMG_0478.jpg

IMG_0479.jpg

Incredible to think that last time I commented on this it was 2010!! Seems like another world with how much everything has changed! Mervyn (RIP) was giving me advice as can be seen in earlier pages. Awesome info on the duty arm bands.

• 3 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

And one more for luck! This belonged to my late father who served in the Met from 1936 initially as PC H315 stationed at Leman Street. After serving with the Welsh Guards during WW2 he returned to the Met transferring to Brockley 'nick' as P515 until his retirement in 1968.

IMG_2167.JPG