News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Authorized 1957 Awards in wear on civilain clothing.

Gentlemen,

One of the hardest things to find is pictures of the authorized 1957 awards in wear. There are a few "posed" pictures around of these awards in wear on military uniforms but rarely do pictures appear where they are seen in wear in general public on eithe uniforms or civilain attire. Recently, I was lucky enough to obtain a package of photos that appear to have come from an archive here in Budapest. Most of the photos seem to have origninated from Warsaw Pact countries and primarily from the DDR. What follows are a series of pictures showing the 1957 awards in wear on civilian clothing. Where there are captions on the backs of the photos I will post an English translation. I am not responsible for what the captions say. I am just reporting them. I may have to edit them slightly so as not to offend anyone in todays poilical climate.

Regards,

Gordon

First up is Generalmajor Niemack, head of the Gemeinschaft Ritterkreuztr?ger at a speech that appears to be at some sort of military monument. He appears to be wearing the Knights Cross with Oak Leaves, even under magnification, but he was awarded the swords to the Oak Leaves on 4.6.44 so it is possible that they just do not show up in the photo.

"Ritterkreuztr?ger continue to march;

Following his speech to the Nordrhein-Westfallen Regional Committee of the OrdenGemeinschaft Ritterkreuztr?ger, in which he said "the young german Federal Armed Forces soldiers needs models and they can see them in the Ritterkreuztr?ger" B?rgermeister Kurt Kr?cker of Wesel in Nordrhein-Westfallen met with 46 highly decorated Hitler officers of the committee ON 31 May, 1964"

This photo gives a good indication of how other awards were worn in ribbon form on the lapel jacket.

And finally, a group of Knights Cross winners. There is a hand written comment on the reverse in Hungarian which I have not been able to decypher so I have no idea when or where this event took place.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

Hello Gordon

Very interesting photos, and more so in that some of the RK veterans are wearing both the full size RK and the miniature version on their lapels at the same time.

Incidentally, the EK1 in post #3 (The 1957 Iron Cross First Class in wear. The caption on the photo seems to indicate the man wearing the EKI is Henckel von Donnersmark) is an Imperial WW1 EK and not a 57 new form one.

Thanks for showing these.

Edited by DavidM

The next photo shows what appears to be a parade composed on BW soldiers and members of a Veterans Orgaization. From the cars in the picture this photo could date from the late 50s early 60s.

The sashes being worn by the vets... I know it isn't that evident to make a call from a B&W picture but...

Are they Red White and Black akin a 1939 EK2/RK ribbon?

Edited by TacHel