News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Magpie Presents!

• Replies 79
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

POLAND ? Medal of the Armed Forces in the Service of the Fatherland (Medal Siły Zbrojne w Słuźbie Ojczyzny - Armed Forces LS & GC ? 5 Years)

I. S. Wright, 2/01

Reverse

POLAND ? Medal of the Armed Forces in the Service of the Fatherland (Medal Siły Zbrojne w Słuźbie Ojczyzny - Armed Forces LS & GC ? 5 Years)

I. S. Wright, 2/01

A White Lion in the paw is very possibly the most beautiful Order ever made.

You have GOT to lose the stickers!!!! :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

"32" is for the regiment, but don't remember whether that indicates Italian or French army. I had the Czech language book years ago explaining all this (in Czech :banger: ) but it moved on. :(

My Revolutionary Cross had no device at all, but what I remember is that it was hollow, with the front and back sides bent together showing poorly fitted gaps in the sides. Is yours like that? Have never seen another Czech award made that way.

To Rick Research,

Could I assume that the handy Czech reference book (in the Czech language) is either:

"Československ? Vyznamen?n?, 1918-1938, Vol 1, Měřička Vacl?v, 1973" or

"Československ? Vyznamen?n?, 1918-1948, Vol 1, Ludv?k Suken?k & Vlastislav Novotn?, 1997"

I have a copy of the 1997 edition, as shown, and it is a truly wonderful reference book. Further details re the Czech Revolutionary Cross/Medal to follow.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

CZECHOSLOVAKIA ? Revolutionary Cross 1914-18 with numeral "32", EF

What's the significance of the "32" device?

I . S. Wright, Sydney, 1998

Hello Hugh,

In answer to your question, and to echo the reply of 'Rick Research' the number on the ribbon of the Czech Revolutionary Cross/Medal is the number of the regiment and/or Czech Legion the participant served in. There were a number of different numbered devices depending on where the recipient served.

The shields with numbers relate to the following regiments-legions and locations:

a. Russian Legion - 1-12

b. French Legion - 21-24

c. Italian Legion - 31-35 and 39

In additional to the regimental numbers there were a number of named shields and bars that indicated action participation as follows:

a. ČD (Česk? dru?ina or Czech Brigade)

b. L.E. (L?gion ?trang?re or Foreign Legion).

c. Russian Legion - ZBOROV, BACHMAČ, SIBIŘ.

d. French Legion - ALSACE, ARGONNE, PERONNE.

e. Italian Legion - DOSS' ALTO, PIAVE.

d. Those in Serbia - S or SERBIE.

There are numerous reproductions of these bars with original ones considered quite rare. What complicates matters is that some original manufacturers have also produced recent versions as well so it is quite difficult to differentiate repro from original.

There were also four different versions produced as follows:

a. Type 1 ? Bronze cross 1918-19, stamped AB (as in your example).

b. Type 2 ? Light bronze 1920-38,

c. Type 3 ? Dark bronze 1920-38.

d. Type 4 - Bronze 1920-38 without stamping.

In regards the Order of the White Lion, Commander's Cross for Civil (3rd Class) ? 1st Type, Neck badge, the makers mark 'KK' belongs to the Prague firm of Karnet and Kysely. It was the biggest Czech medal producer before 1948, and produced all manner of Czech orders and decorations, including a re-issue of the Czech Victory medal.

Pictures to follow.

I hope that this helps.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

What a treasure trove of information! Thanks so much.

I couldn't quite tell from your writeup. Is Rick's hollow piece one of the normal issue?

Thanks,

Hugh

Hugh,

Happy to be of help!

I have not seen such a type either in my collection (4 pieces) or through my hands. All the pieces I've had or seen, have been one piece struck medals with very good detail and certainly not two piece and joined together, and they were of the early type (marked AB) as well as the later issues so I'm at a loss there. In addition, I've inquired with a number of other collectors in Sydney who have not seen such a hollow two piece type. Just because it hasn't been seen doesn't mean it isn't possible.

I have sent a query to a collector friend in Prague and shall post the results when known.

Regards,

Rob

More is always asked of he who helps - Is there a precedence list in the book?

Hugh,

There are two such lists in the book that could possibly be an order of precedence but not being able to read Czech I can't tell for sure. Not wishing to post ill-informed comment I am making some inquiries with those more competent than I in the Czech language and medals and when I have a definitive list I shall post here.

Regards,

Rob