News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Magpie Presents!

What a treasure trove of information! Thanks so much.

I couldn't quite tell from your writeup. Is Rick's hollow piece one of the normal issue?

Thanks,

Hugh

To Hugh and Rick Research,

Here are a few clarifications and additions to the earlier information about the Czech Revolution Medal.

As everybody serving in Czech legions was eligible, many variants were produced. The medal was designed by the French sculptor Antoine Bourdel, and it is his initials 'AB' which can be found on some varieties.

The Czech medal book referred to previously lists 4 main varieties. These are:

a. French production with signature

b. Production 1918 - 38 light bronze with signature

c. Dark bronze with signature

d. The same as 'b' but without a signature

There are also more varieties indicated but unlisted with hollow pieces being described as quite common, so that should clear up the mystery of Ricks piece. I recently picked up a second copy of the 1997 book as well.

Order of precedence information to follow shortly.

Regards,

Rob

• Replies 79
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks very much; here's hoping for a good outcome!

Hugh

Hugh,

As far as I have been able to determine, in regards an order of precedence, until 1939 Czechoslovakia only had only 4 official (government approved) decorations.

These were:

a. The Order of the Falcon, which was established in 5 clases but only one was awarded.

b. War Cross 1918

c. Revolution Medal

d. Victory Medal

All other medals listed in the book were described as so called semi-official, established either by regiments, veteran organizations or others, which were additionally approved for wearing the by Defence Ministry. This of course didn't include the following:

a. Volunteer's Cross (Pamětní Kříž Československého Dobrovolce), 1918-1919

b. Commemorative Decoration for the Czechoslovak Volunters of 1918-1919

I would assume that these awards would be worn after the main 1914-1918 awards and before those awarded for service later in 1939 onwards.

In addition to these original 4 pieces there was also the Order of the White Lion (instituted in 1922). The Order of White Lion was created in two divisions (civil and military) 5 classes and 2 medals each. It was however awarded strictly to foreigners only. The only Czech bearer was the President of the Republic as a Grand Master of the order.

This information has been gratefully provided to me via a Czech friend in Prague and subsequently translated/parsed into English.

I hope that this helps.

Regards,

Rob

This is wonderful stuff! Many thanks. This allows me to get much greater enjoyment form them, and to display them correctly. If only I had comparable data for all the other countries.

Best,

Hugh

Guest Rick Research

Excellent data--much appreciated!!! :jumping::cheers:

Unfortunately purged out all my Czech stuff from 30 years ago and am now again simply sliding back in mainly with Communist era stuff. Do I ever regret selling off an immaculate mint 1918 War Cross that I picked up for $2 in 1973? Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, you betcha.

Glad my hideous hollow cross (which I probably sold "at a profit" for about $10 is NOT the Holy Grail of 1st Czech Republic collecting!!! :speechless1: :lol:

Just to make it correct: there was nothing like "1st Czech Republic", "Czech Revolution Medal", "Czech legions", etc. There was an idea of one nation in Czechoslovakia - czechoslovak nation, so everithing was also Czechoslovak - 1. Czechoslovak republic, Czechoslovak legions, etc...