News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mali

Megan

Cette médaille est décernée à tout militaire ou assimilé ayant reçu une blessure de guerre au cours d’une campagne ou une opération de maintient de l’ordre.

For our non-francophones, this translates as: This medal is awarded to any military or equivalent [service] wounded during a [military] campaign or operation to maintain [public] order.

Ilja

The 'bee' on the Silver Star is a nice touch. Is it a reference to the glories of Napoleon and his empire, or does it have specific significance to Ghana?

Peter

The similar bee is on the order of the Social merit of Dahomey (later Benin). Also francophone, BTW.

Thank you for that, Taras.

I know that when I lived in West Africa in the early '80s the former French colonies still had very close ties with France. Crossing Niger, for example, every roadblock on the highway, and there were many, was made up of Nigerien troops commanded by a French NCO, usually FL, and the police chiefs of the larger towns were Frenchmen as well, so I thought there was a good chance that the bee was a symbolic 'hangover' from the 'old days'.

• 3 months later...

The Silver Star of National Merit is awarded with either a Bee or a Lion in the centre of the badge. The Bee is awarded for good and loyal service rendered with efficiency, devotion, creative initiative and zeal in the field of politics, administration, economic, social, artistic or military service for at least five years; and the Lion for particularly meritorious service in any of the above mentioned fields.

Chris

When you say "From a French troops medal parade this week..." do you mean they fell off and were picked up afterwards, bought fro a troop in a pub or...? Enquiring minds wish to know!

Peter

PS. Where exactly, 'east of Toronto' are you hanging your hat these days?

• 4 years later...
    • 1 year later...

Hello Gentlemen,

I have found a link with some activity concerning the Gold Medal for Independence of Mali.

It refer to only 415 Awards.

modibokeita.free.fr/les-medailles-dor-de-lindependance-.php 

Maybe this one works :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVO0njPGVEg&feature=emb_title 

The first photo (with cream background), Ilja shall be credited for have found that photo.

Best regards to all.

Emmanuel

Mali Médaille d'Or de l'Independance avers.jpg

Mali medaille d'Or de l'Independance.jpg

Mali Les Medaille d'Or de l'Indepedence Description.png

Edited by heusy68

• 6 months later...

Hello Gentlemen,

As many of you may have heard, there has been a Coup in Mali, and President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita ( known as IBK ) has resigned.

Lets' have a look at some photo from the Leader (what it seems to be the Leader, as it occured 2 days ago), Colonel Malick Diaw. However it seems that it is Colonel Assimi Goita who is now presented as the Leader of the Coup ( I have not been able to get a photo this Colonel with Medals ).

On the First Photo, on "Parade" Uniform he is wearing Cross of Military Valour and Medal of Military Merit.

On the Second Photo in Field Uniform, he is wearing Cross of Military Valour, Medal of Military Merit, and Commemorative Medal of Campaign.

We can bet that the Commemorative Medal of Campaign was awarded as such to malian army troops involved in operation against jihadist in North Mali since 2012, thus no specific medal seems to have been issued for this long lasting war.

If anyone on this forum may have records, for which purpose he got awarded the Cross of Military Valour, that would be interesting.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Mali Colonel Malick Diaw.jpg

Mali Colonel Malick Diaw 2.jpg

Edited by heusy68