News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Pridnestrovie!

A nice badge, Tsarenko! Note how the colours in the flag co-ordinate with the stripes on the medal's ribbon.

Managed to add another award to the collection; a medal to commemorate 10 Years of the Ministry of State Security, 1992-2002. Here's the medal:

• Replies 78
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A detail of the front. Note that "KGB" has become "MGB" (ministry instead of committee). I have seen two versions of this medal; the other has no enamel and an untextured (smooth) background. I'm told this is the earlier variant.

Edited by Greg Collins

• 2 weeks later...

Recently acquired a few fairly rare badges from Pridnestrovie. The first is of a Soviet design we're all familiar with, the Honours Policeman of Militia of Ministry of Internal Affairs, PMR. This particular variation, with areas of enamel within the State seal, is for senior management and had a run of 100 pieces. The regular issue was the same but without the enamel in the State seal.

And the final submission, for now, 15 years of Department of Internal Affairs of Tiraspol (the capital). Brass, full reverse with Soviet style pin back. The light blue "wave" between the red and green on the banner ends mimics the Tiraspol seal. No data on the run amount of this badge.

Picked up three lapel pins/badges from Pridnestrovie recently. All have an official connotation as they were/are given to government officials. The pin at the top left is to commemorate the 10th Anniversary of Pridnestrovie and the pin below that is to commemorate the 15th Anniversary. The pin to the right is for Central Management of Ministry of Internal Affairs PMR and has a deep green transparent enamel on the shield. Just as a reminder, the PMR on the pins is an abbreviation for Pridnestrovskaia Moldavskaia Respublica. A dime (US 0.10) is included to give an idea of size. The odd thing here is that both flags contain the hammer and sickle, while the official country flag does not.

Edited by Greg Collins

I certainly don't doubt your source as I use them alot myself, but the latest date on the material is 2004. Apparently, things have changed since then and, according to the PMR website at:

http://pridnestrovie.net/flag_pmr.html

the official flag has no hammer and sickle and is proportioned 2X by 3X. Now, having said that, there are plenty of older Moldavian SSR flags that are seen and not just when carried by one of the two Communist Parties in the PMR. Occassionally you can see them in a story carried by the Olviya Press (day-to-day news in the PMR). My guess insofar as the pins are concerned is that the flag has been changed since the pins were produced.

Even though the hammer and sickle has been romoved from the flag, it is still seen on the State seal and, consequently, on all 5 coins currently used and many of the medals and badges, as has been shown.

I invite you to read the bottom of the page of my link, at the section "Possible flag change". It is said (frome 6 June 2009) that the hammer and sickle flag will stay as state flag. Maybe in a near future (not adopted yet), the russian tricolor could be the new civil flag.

Edited by kanakanak

It appears the sites are in conflict... hey, it's a new country- there are bound to be questions. I'll keep my Moldavian SSR flag but call it a State Flag of the PMR now.

I hope that they choose not to adopt the Russian tricolour- not that I have anything at all against Russia (quite the contrary)- it's just that I would love to see the PMR develop into a small, autonomous, self-governing country unto itself. However, that's not for me to say; I don't live there.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, the return of the "egg"... a 15 years Police Special Assault Forces (Spetsnaz/SWAT) Brigade- Dneister badge. Large of heavy alloy. Screw back with a marked nut that I just cannot read... sort of a mixture of cursive capitals and some other characters that I cannot completely make out.