News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Austrian Police Hat

speagle

I receuved a hat which I was told was from the Austrian Police force. I am currently away from home and can't provide a photo yet. In the meantime, can anyone provide a site that I might go to to research hat IDs?

Thanks in advance

Ed

• Replies 66
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi - Ed. I typed in Google - Austrian Police Uniforms and found a lot of sites. Several were from Austrian Police, so, this could be a good starter. There were a lot of posts from US police officers - I wonder why we can't attract them to our forum?

Hope other members can give you better leads - look forward to seeing the hat? Are you on holiday ?

Ed,

I have never found any really useful sites on the Net for Austrian police uniforms. When you say Aastrian police hat that is a little broad. All my reference material is packed away while I move from Hungary back to Canada but I can give you a little info from memory and hope that it is correct. There used to be threee main pilice services in Austria, 1-the Sicherheitswache (Security Service which is a bad translation but the best I can do at the moment) they policed the major sities; 2-Gendarmerie - they policed smaller cities/towns and rural areas; 3-The Criminal police - don't remember exactly what their tasks were. They were all combined into one service in 2002, if I have the date right. As you might expect, a new police service needed new uniforms. This is an area I haven't researched although I'll post a picture from the net that is probably representative. Also I can post a piture of s Sicherheitswache cap from my collection. Perhaps this will provide some info on Austrian police cap/uniforms.

Regards,

Gordon

What I think is the current uniform.

Hi - Ed. I typed in Google - Austrian Police Uniforms and found a lot of sites. Several were from Austrian Police, so, this could be a good starter. There were a lot of posts from US police officers - I wonder why we can't attract them to our forum?

Hope other members can give you better leads - look forward to seeing the hat? Are you on holiday ?

Thanks for the leads. Actually my wife and I are in Seattle, WA for the week helping our daughter pack up and move. She got laid off last week so we are taking her back under our wing "for awhile" :-)

We should be back home (Southeast corner of Washington state -West Richland) by next Friday so I'll be able to get a picture up.

Thanks for the leads. Actually my wife and I are in Seattle, WA for the week helping our daughter pack up and move. She got laid off last week so we are taking her back under our wing "for awhile" :-)

We should be back home (Southeast corner of Washington state -West Richland) by next Friday so I'll be able to get a picture up.

Hi all,

Here is the promised pictures. Any further IDs would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Ed

Ed,

I can not say for sure what your cap is. Is there an insignia on the left side of the cap band? All of my collection and reference material are on their way across the Atlantic so I can not look at what I have and thry an identify the cap for you. I will be in Vienna until the 18th of August and I intend to vists several museums over the next few days. Perhaps I can get some ideas there.

Regards,

Gordon

Ed,

I can not say for sure what your cap is. Is there an insignia on the left side of the cap band? All of my collection and reference material are on their way across the Atlantic so I can not look at what I have and thry an identify the cap for you. I will be in Vienna until the 18th of August and I intend to vists several museums over the next few days. Perhaps I can get some ideas there.

Regards,

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Yes, it does have an insignia on the left.

Ed,

Surprised to see that the sicherheitswache emblem is still in use on what appears to be a post 2002 police cap. The red cap band is worn by police I saw walking around in Vienna today. The red backing for the cap badge also follows previous practices. Today is a religious holiday in Vienna so I couldn't visit my favourite book store and hunt for reference material on the Austrian Federal Police. I'll have to see if they have a web site with some uniform information. Sorry I can not be of more help but there is nothing in print, at least nothing that I am aware of, on Austrian police except for the B-Gendarmerie who became the Bundesheer in 1955.

Regards,

Gordon

Ed,

Surprised to see that the sicherheitswache emblem is still in use on what appears to be a post 2002 police cap. The red cap band is worn by police I saw walking around in Vienna today. The red backing for the cap badge also follows previous practices. Today is a religious holiday in Vienna so I couldn't visit my favourite book store and hunt for reference material on the Austrian Federal Police. I'll have to see if they have a web site with some uniform information. Sorry I can not be of more help but there is nothing in print, at least nothing that I am aware of, on Austrian police except for the B-Gendarmerie who became the Bundesheer in 1955.

Regards,

Gordon

GORDON,

Thanks for the info. Absolutely NO reason to apologize! I appreciate you making time to check some of this out for me. Looking forward to hearing more, should you find anything.

Thanks again.

Enjoy Vienna

Ed

Ed,

I should have stuck to my original post above instead of changing it. I visited a militaria store in Vienna today and talked to the owner about your cap. My first impression that it was Gendarmerie was confirmed in the store. The Sicherheitswache emblem was probably added by someone because the flaming bomb emblem that should be in that location was missing. The all red capband indicates it was for an officer. The gold cap badge and chin strap would therefore be correct for this cap. Enlisted men and NCOs would have a plain grey cap band piped in red around the top and the bottom. The same grey cap with green piping would be for Customs.

Regards,

Gordon

• 2 weeks later...

Ed,

Sorry that I didn't respond to this earlier. Don't remember getting a notice of the post. This was posted the day we flew out of Europe. As to where you can get one of these emblems? Good question. I don't ever remember seeing one for sale on the net. Possibly from a militaria show in Austria but that doesn't help you much. I'll email a friend in Austria and see if he can offer any suggestions.

Regards,

Gordon

Ed,

Sorry that I didn't respond to this earlier. Don't remember getting a notice of the post. This was posted the day we flew out of Europe. As to where you can get one of these emblems? Good question. I don't ever remember seeing one for sale on the net. Possibly from a militaria show in Austria but that doesn't help you much. I'll email a friend in Austria and see if he can offer any suggestions.

Regards,

Gordon

Thanks again Gordon for making time to help out. Hope your trip was enjoyable.

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

Ed,

My friend Bernhard will be going to the Militaria Show in Pottendorf, Austria (just outside Viena) shorlty and he will look for a Gendarmerie badge for you. No guarantees but this is an excellent show for Austrian Militaria. We went to it together earlier this year and I sure wish I could go with him this Month!

Regards,

Gordon

Ed,

My friend Bernhard will be going to the Militaria Show in Pottendorf, Austria (just outside Viena) shorlty and he will look for a Gendarmerie badge for you. No guarantees but this is an excellent show for Austrian Militaria. We went to it together earlier this year and I sure wish I could go with him this Month!

Regards,

Gordon

Gordon,

Thanks so much. Might you have any idea what the cost might be?

Just wondering.

Looking forward to getting your "report of success" beer.gif

Ed

Ed,

Sorry but I have no idea what these particular insignia would cost. I try to stay away from things that aren't complete so I rarely buy insignia not on the uniform/cap. We will be lucky if Bernhard finds one. If not, we will keep looking. At least half the fun is in the search.

Regards,

Gordon

Ed,

Sorry but I have no idea what these particular insignia would cost. I try to stay away from things that aren't complete so I rarely buy insignia not on the uniform/cap. We will be lucky if Bernhard finds one. If not, we will keep looking. At least half the fun is in the search.

Regards,

Gordon

Thanks Gordon,

I like your attitude; "WE will keep looking"biggrin.gif

Ed