News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Austrian Police Hat

speagle

• Replies 66
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ed,

Here is a picture of the flamong bomb device my friend bought today.

Regards,

Gordon

Gordon,

FANTASTIC!!! Please convey my deepest appreciation to your friend.

Now for the IMPORTANT questions!!

1. How do I get it?

2. Who do I owe

3. How much?

Ed Keeney

1830 Artemis Ridge

West Richland, Washington 99353

USA

Ed,

I'll have Bernhard send the device to you directly. When you receive the letter add two Euros to the cost of the postage and send the equivalent to me in U.S. cash addressed to;

Gordon Craig

15 Kerry Crescent

Nepean, Ontario

Canada

K2E 5V7

I'll pay Bernhard the next time he buys something for me.

Regards,

Gordon

Ed,

I'll have Bernhard send the device to you directly. When you receive the letter add two Euros to the cost of the postage and send the equivalent to me in U.S. cash addressed to;

Gordon Craig

15 Kerry Crescent

Nepean, Ontario

Canada

K2E 5V7

Regards,

Gordon

Gordon,

Sounds like a plan. I'll post an updated picture of the hat when I get everything in place.

Thanks again for all your help.

Ed

Ed,

Here is a picture of the flamong bomb device my friend bought today.

Regards,

Gordon

Gordon,

Another quick question. The earlier device posted appeared to be silver while this one looks bronze. Is there a difference as far as the color? One for officers and one for enlisted? Just wonderng.

Thanks again for all your help.

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

Ed,

My friend Bernhard will be going to the Militaria Show in Pottendorf, Austria (just outside Viena) shorlty and he will look for a Gendarmerie badge for you. No guarantees but this is an excellent show for Austrian Militaria. We went to it together earlier this year and I sure wish I could go with him this Month!

Regards,

Gordon

Gordon,

Got the emblem in the mail today. I've attached two pictures.

TWO QUESTIONS:

1. Is the badge positioned correctly or should it be tilted to the right?

2. The emblem has 2 pins on the back whereas the hat has a single hole. Is there a different type of badge that should be used for the single hole or is this just a different version?

Thanks SO much for all your help (and Bernhard's as well).

Ed

Ed,

Gordon Craig

15 Kerry Crescent

Nepean, Ontario

Canada

K2E 5V7

Regards,

Gordon

Gordon,

Check will be in the mail to you Wednesday.

Thanks again,

Ed

Ed,

Sorry but you must have misunderstood what I told you about where the flaming bomb badge is placed. It goes on the side of the hat. Not the front. The front was correct. Replace the cocakde on the front and swap the badges on the wearer left side.

Regards,

Gordon

Thanks for the clarification. The cocakde is sewn on, so I need to remove it and put the badge on, right?

Ed

Gordon,

Check will be in the mail to you Wednesday.

Thanks again,

Ed

Gordon,

I need your help before I can send a check. I thought I could get the correct amount of the postage from our Post Office but they were unable to tell me. Please tell me how much the postage is (in US dollars if possible and I'll get the check out)

Sorry for the delay.

Thanks again

Ed

Thanks for the clarification. The cocakde is sewn on, so I need to remove it and put the badge on, right?

Ed

Ed,

Please don't do anything for a day or so until I can find a hat to send you pictures of. We seem to be a little off track re terminology and I want to make sure that your next move will be the correct one. I'll get back to you re the postage.

Regards,

Gordon

Ed,

Please don't do anything for a day or so until I can find a hat to send you pictures of. We seem to be a little off track re terminology and I want to make sure that your next move will be the correct one. I'll get back to you re the postage.

Regards,

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

No problem. Just to let you know; my wife and I are going on a driving vacation Friday, 9/25 for about a month but I will be checking my email every couple of days. I have an envelope addressed to you and will carry it with me so I can send the check as soon as we get that part squared away. If you want to, we can move this to my e-mail, keeneagle@verizon.net

Thanks for getting me on track.

Ed

Ed,

Here is a picture of the badge that should be replaced with the flaming bomb. As I mentioned earlier, the insignia on the front of the cap was correct the way you accquired it. I'll have to email my friend in Austrian and ask him how much we owe him for postage. I'll get back to you.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

Ed,

Here is a picture of the badge that should be replaced with the flaming bomb. As I mentioned earlier, the insignia on the front of the cap was correct the way you accquired it. I'll have to email my friend in Austrian and ask him how much we owe him for postage. I'll get back to you.

Regards,

Gordon

OK Gordon,

So, as I understand your directions, the attached picture (with the circular patch removed) is how the badge should be applied to the hat.

Right?

Ed

Ed,

Yes, but just remove the metal part. All of these insignia were put in place with the red backing behind the metal badge.

Regards,

Gordon

OK, you've got me confused againspeechless.gif

PLEASE excuse my ignorance.

SO-

STEP 1: Remove the circular cloth patch.

STEP 2: Place the metal Flaming Bomb insignia in place of it, on the LEFT side.

Correct?2014.gif (I sure hope so)

Ed

OK, you've got me confused againspeechless.gif

PLEASE excuse my ignorance.

SO-

STEP 1: Remove the circular cloth patch.

STEP 2: Place the metal Flaming Bomb insignia in place of it, on the LEFT side.

Correct?2014.gif (I sure hope so)

Ed

Ed,

Lets try this again. The metal eagles head insignia that is on the cap now should be removed. I have never done this so I don't know exactly what steps you will need to take to do so. If necessary, removed the red backing cloth and the eagle head insignia as the first step. Separate the red backing cloth and the metal eagle head device. Place the flaming bomb device on the red patch. Reattach the red cloth patch and the flaming bomb device to the left side of the cap.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

Ed,

Lets try this again. The metal eagles head insignia that is on the cap now should be removed. I have never done this so I don't know exactly what steps you will need to take to do so. If necessary, removed the red backing cloth and the eagle head insignia as the first step. Separate the red backing cloth and the metal eagle head device. Place the flaming bomb device on the red patch. Reattach the red cloth patch and the flaming bomb device to the left side of the cap.

Regards,

Gordon

I'm sure anybody else reading these posts are holding their sides laughing!laugh.gif

OK-here's the problem...the round red circle has the dragon's head "SEWN ON". It is NOT a metal piece attached. That is what was confusing me. If I take the circle off, the Dragon's head comes too! It appears to be sewn on in gold bullion.

So-now what?

(Aren't you glad you took on this project with me)speechless.gifbanger.gif

Well, off to bed. We are at our first night's "bed and breakfast" at Hill AFB just north of Salt Lake City, Utah. Will be traveling on to Peterson AFB in Colorado Springs, Colorado tomorrow night (Saturday) so I'll try to check back then.

Thanks for your continued patience friend. It is MUCH appreciated.

Ed

Edited by speagle

Ed - please don't take offence - but, you're right , I'm almost in tears over this saga !!! Sorry - I know it must be frustrating for you, but you were so senior in your field your men would also have enjoyed this...

You've brought life to this section - please don't get it right too quickly. Mervyn

Ed,

A bullion eagle! That is a new one to me and the missing piece of the puzzle as to why we are having so much fun with it. I'd like some time to think about this before proceeding any further. More research may be needed as I would hate to ruin an authentic cap just because I have never seen it before. Perhaps the dealer I spoke to in Vienna was not as knowledgable as I thought. It wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened to me. We learn something new everyday!

Here is a picture of the eagles head on one of my earlier caps and how the red backing cloth is attached to it. This is what I expected to see on your cap. A metal eagles head sewn on to the red backing with yellow thread and then sewn to the cap itself. Sorry that I wasn't able to do this type of research earlier. I just unpacked this cap yesterday.

Thanks for your patience while we have worked our way though this project to this point.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

Gordon,

Glad I could bring a new light to this "simple" subjectunsure.gif

We will be staying at Altus AFB, Oklahoma Sunday night so I'll check in again then.

I hope I have found something unusual and not a "fraud piece".

As always, thanks again

Look forward to our nextmessage session.

Ed

Ed - please don't take offence - but, you're right , I'm almost in tears over this saga !!! Sorry - I know it must be frustrating for you, but you were so senior in your field your men would also have enjoyed this...

You've brought life to this section - please don't get it right too quickly. Mervyn

Mervyn,

No offense taken. I'm just glad I've been able to bring joy to some of the "older" generation2014.gif

I hope Gordon can find a solution soon, but as you requested; maybe not TOO soon.rolleyes.gif

Ed