News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Badges For Some Scary People .... The RSM!

• Replies 128
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are the Rhodesian anodised metal WO I badges for leather wristlets. These have a smaller size than the ones worn by RSM, as shown in Post # 52.

Gilt is for Corps, silver for Infantry (other than Rhodesia Regiment) and Armoured Car Regiment, black for RR (which is affiliated to the KRRC).

• 4 weeks later...

Australian Army WO1, embroidered, service dress, c1976 - 1990's. This badge was worn until replaced by the much larger version which has a very large backing area, designed to cover the previous rank patch replaced. See the Australian WO2 corresponding entry.

Regards,

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting badges Rob, they make an immediate impression. Has Aust. dropped the Royal Arms now, in favour of the National emblems ?

Hello Mervyn,

With my work schedule slowing slightly here are some details.

In 1917 the rank of warrant officer class one was established with the Royal Coat of Arms designated as the badge of rank. In the Australian Army the badge for warrant officers class one was replaced by the Australian Coat of Arms in 1976 and has been worn ever since.

The position for wearing the badges of rank of warrant officers changed from the lower forearm to the mid-upper arm at the end of 1996. When I have time I will try and locate the current much larger rank patch that replaced the badge shown in post #86.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

Thankyou Rob - I haven't been back since 1960 ( ! ) - and hadn't noticed the change. Would be good to see the bigger badge - our emblems look good on the badge and the embroidery is of a high standard. Hope it's not the 'copying b.....s' in Pakistan - they write to me at least 3 or 4 times a week - and I don't think that there is anything they're not making.

• 2 weeks later...

To all,

To continue the Australian bit here are some WO1 DPCU rank slides. I have included two as the background on one of them makes it difficult to see the detail. I suppose that is why they are worn on the combat uniform. :D

More to follow of service dress, and general duty dress when I have time to find them.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

What a spectacular collection of of examples show here in this topic. My only contribution to this fine topic are the two following rank slip-ons currently worn in Afghanistan by the Canadian Contingent.

Edited by Pylon1357

• 3 weeks later...

To all,

Here are some more Australian Army WO1 rank patches.

Embroidered polyester general duty dress, c1996, 9 cm x 7 cm. This smaller patch is still worn on general duty dress and has not been replaced by the larger versions as for Service and Mess Dress.

More to follow

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

Australian Army WO1, embroidered, service dress, late 1990's to current date. 11 cm x 11 cm at each widest point.

This badge replaced the smaller previous entry shown in post #86. It has a large backing area, designed to cover the previous rank patch replaced.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

Great badges, don't think I've got any to add but here are a couple of cigarette cards from a set "Army Badges of Rank", issued by Churchman's in 1916:

Warrant Officer Class I,

Sergeant Major School of Musketry.

The 3rd card, Badges of Rank - Miltary" is from Gallaher's "The Great War, Second Series", issued 1915.

"Warrant & Non Commissioned Officers (1)"

"(Worn on the Sleeve)"

It identifies the badges shown as:

a) Conductor Army Ordnance Corps etc

b) Master Gunner, 1st & 2nd Class,

c) Staff Sergeant Major, 1st Class etc,

d) Bandmaster,

e) Master Gunner, 3rd Class,

f) Quarter Master, Corporal Major, etc.

A couple more, next is the Royal Air Force WO1 badge in pale blue on a navy background.

Following that we have the Royal Engineer, Royal Signals and REME version of the RSM badge with a navy border.

Please note Royal Air Force does not, and never did, need two grades of Warrant Officer. All RAF WO are equivalent rank WO I only cleverer.