News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

USA Ribbon Bars

Noor

Jeepers!!! Cat Scratch.gif

Noor-where did you get THAT???? cheers.gif

I just found themrolleyes.gifcheeky.gif

Thank you all for information and help! I kind a like US WW1 period bars already. Maybe must be hoover more,still missing something named2014.gif

Here is one another information piece from WAF member Gary B (last named set):

I am not sure of you are aware of this but the German Occupation ribbon bar on this mounting is the very rare version with the wavy edges. It was only issued for a few months. It was replaced by a version with straight edges. This is only the 1st bar I have ever seen with this ribbon mounted on it. I have only seen a few of these ribbons in general.

So, I can call those US bars find of the week I quesscheeky.gifcheers.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Here is some of my new US bars what RickR actually helped to ID but if someone can add something extra, it would be always nice for learning purposes.

It is sometimes great to get some new bars without knowing what they are. Like I said before - US bars are something very new to me, so actually I was thinking more about Polish and Greece with those items (don't ask whycheeky.gif ). Anyway, turned out (thank you Rick again!) that I have now:

1. WW1 Victory, Haiti for USN or USMC - from position for 1919/20, Foreign Order (Italian St. Maurice and Lazarus?), Foreign Order (French Legion of Honor?)

2. Navy Cross, Navy Distinguished Service Medal, Philippine Campaign 1899-1906

3. US: Haiti (would have to be for 1919/20 with no WW1 Victory), 2nd Nicaragua 1926-33

More US bars arrived today!jumping.gif I must say that they are really nice looking ones!

1. Navy good Conduct- WW1 missing star and Mexican service ( Pre ww1 service)

2. Old Marine bar. Probably put together in 40s?

3. Philippine Campaign, Mexican Service, ????

4. I need help with that oneblush.gif

5. And my favorite oldest US bar what I have now!!!jumping.gif - Philippines 1898, War With Spain 1898, Philippine Congressional 1899+

Edited by Noor

Guest Rick Research

Aha. Recognized the last one of these since my great-uncle John the Colonel had one.

From the OUTSTANDING Gregory W. Ogletree's 1988 "Awards & Decorations of U.S. State Military Forces," Patriot Press, Vandenberg Air Force Base, CA which has glorious full color ribbon charts--

The medals themselves were issued serial numbered. Ogletree said some 8,XXX Mexican Border, "many thousands" Aqueduct which required assigned duty as guards, not simply being in the army in New York state which is why great-uncle John didn't get one. This row would have been worn under national, official ribbons in New York National Guard uniform between the wars.

I wanted to answer yesterday but GMIC started doing some tricks hereblush.gif .

Anyway, those bars will be now my favorite US items what I have.

Thank you Rick again for your super fast replay!cheers.gif Do you ever sleep???2014.gif

Edited by Noor

• 2 weeks later...

The top center red ribbon is the British Military Order of Bath. I have a senior US General Group that has the same ribbon. With the LOH next to it, it all makes sence.

Three small bars from US again2014.gif . Is it correct:

1. A high ranking officer last bar on the row- China Relief 1901, unknown foreign award, French legion of honor -commander

2. Nicaraguan campaign - 1912- Mexican campaign-1911-1913- Mexican boarder-1916-1917 old bar- the Mexican campaign ribbon a bit off color due to minor staining

3. Navy good conduct and vicory ribbon

• 2 weeks later...

And most interesting and oldest US bar what I have. FIRST Type of US bar with metall loops on the reverse! Can't get better one I quess if of course there isn't anything around for very very old Civil war vet!2014.gifcheeky.gif

Guest Rick Research

The last ribbon on the bar in post #43 is the veterans "Military Order of the Serpent,"

founded 1 January 1904 "to maintain a secret and social Society to perpetuate the memories of the war with Spain, the incident struggle in the Philippines, the China Relief Expedition... to more firmly establish good fellowship among the comrades of the United Spanish War Veterans" association.

"Limited to members of the United Spanish War Veterans, in good standing in that body."

Quotes and scan of badge

from Bailey, Banks & Biddle catalog of the badges they made in 1917. (Very tastefully, they don't mention prices... :whistle: )

I am old enough, God bless me :speechless1: , to remember United Spanish War Veterans-- but apparently none of the ones I knew were in "good standing" :unsure: because I've never seen this badge before!!! :cheeky:

The United Spanish War Veterans ribbons are normally quite fussy, and mostly represent an American flag (too similar to the original ribbon of the Medal of Honor). The tricolor here by itself would be hopeless as the boringly generic design used on literally thousands of private/souvenir type medals BUT the very distinctive edges here and its "situation" between the REAL Spanish-American War Medal and the "Serpent" indicate that the middle ribbon there was for the National Association of Spanish American War Veterans. They apparently preceded the United bunch and were absorbed by them-- because the central design of their organizational medals was used throughout.

Man, you are in a time warp and it is 1967 or so with these antique obscurities....

Thanks Rick for the information!jumping.gif Very interesting bar in this case indeed and I love that bar pin system - it is one of the best what I have seen on pre WW2 bars! Of course I haven't seen all but in my small collection it is great one!

Also this two place bar screws are something what I haven't seen before and of course first type US single bar is something what made my day!

Here is two more (can't be set????)2014.gif

Edited by Noor