News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

USA Ribbon Bars

Noor

Here are two more U.S. Veterans' ribbon bars worn in the 1930s-1960s, when wearing the Legion uniform was popular.

This one is missing the WW1 ribbon and maybe a Purple Heart, probably worn above the bar. It comprises of the VFW members' medal ribbon,the Diasbled American Vets medal ribbon, and the American Legion ribbon. It has the classic celluloid cover and flat backed pins common in the 1940s.

image.jpg

Edited by Ulsterman

This is a "navy style" ( fat ribbons) WW2 ( and earlier) era vet's ribbon bar. I've always wondered if it was worn on a reserve navy or army officers' uniform in the 1930s......Just a WW1 ribbon and a VFW medal.

image.jpg

Edited by Ulsterman

• 8 months later...

The stars on these ribbons reminded me of US medal ribbons, does anyone recognise them or could they be a different nationality?

Might the brass devices have anything to do with them? They came together.

Thanks

Tony

WP_20150911_20_17_06_Pro.jpg

Italian? That’s a good thought as they came with this item http://gmic.co.uk/forums/topic/66591-german-insignia/ I’ve since been told it’s possibly Italian too. Well, from the same building.

A friend who used to do house clearances in Germany has them and was wondering what they are as she’s thinking about having a clear out.  As to the nationality I haven't a clue I'm afraid.

Tony
    Edited by Tony

The ribbon bar is Polish.   The top ribbon with the star is the Polish wound ribbon with star for second award.

2nd Row: OBE/MBE, Bronze Cross of Merit, Bronze Cross of Merit, Unknown

3rd Row: Army Medal for War of 1939-1945: Long Service Medal (30 years)(appears to be wrong ribbon), LSM (20 years), LSM (10 years)

Edited by Gunner 1

Gunner, I thought maybe Polish based upon all the red ribbons, but didn't look up the exact ribbons.  The Wound Ribbon is certain and the others match up for the most part.  But I think this is a made up bar though... To my knowledge, no XXX year LSMs were awarded.  And it clearly is a XX and X device on the wrong ribbon as you state.

Wow thanks Gunner!

Rick, I wonder if the ribbons have something to do with that shoulder strap that looks Warsaw Pact? Is there any certain way to tell if it's a made up bar or is it just a case of the 30 year LSM not being plausible?

Can these posts be moved by someone to the appropriate forum?

Tony

• 2 months later...
    • 3 weeks later...
    On 12/1/2015 at 04:48, jonsey2001 said:

Some new bars. Picked then up by the pound from a local shop.

20151201_074246.jpg

20151201_074212.jpg

Are you interested in trading any of the DUI's? I am looking specifically for Military Police units. Contact me on my regular e-mail: keeneagle@frontier.com

• 2 weeks later...
    On 12.09.2015 at 13:18, Tony said:

The stars on these ribbons reminded me of US medal ribbons, does anyone recognise them or could they be a different nationality?

Might the brass devices have anything to do with them? They came together.

Thanks

Tony

WP_20150911_20_17_06_Pro.jpg

Yes, it is Polish. A few (minor) comments on this bar.

1. The wound decoration is for a single wound. A second would be denoted by another star.

2. The first ribbon in 2nd row is definitely BEM. The ribbon of the order  is wider.

3. The two identical ribbons are from two different classes of the Cross of Merit (probably silver and bronze). Gold and silver laces to denote class were first introduced after the war, only in Poland. Emigration never used them.

3. The last in 2nd row can be of the Medal of Merit of the Primate's of Poland Emmigrational Representative, as Irish Gunner said, or another unofficial church medal. Certainly hand-made.

4. He is also right to say that the long service medal for 30 years was never officially awarded, but I believe some may have been made by the self-styled president Nowina-Sokolnicki. This can be one of them. The other two can be from him too.

No idea what the two crosses can be for. Ribbon bar holders perhaps?

The post should be moved to the Polish section. Unfortunately I have no rights to do so.

Happy New Year!

Lukasz

15 hours ago, Lukasz Gaszewski said:

Yes, it is Polish. A few (minor) comments on this bar.

The post should be moved to the Polish section. Unfortunately I have no rights to do so.

Happy New Year!

Lukasz

Thanks very much Lukasz, there was a rank bar with the ribbons which I now know was for a Captain.

Yes it needs to be moved it to the correct area.

Tony

• 7 months later...

Please tell me you have this man's story and are going to publish it here.  

Probably enlisted before 7 December 1941.  Maybe an aviator or air crew with service in WW II and Korea, but not Vietnam.  No stars nor strike/flight on his Air Medal so maybe not a designated aviator.  Maybe an artillery spotter.  Lots of campaign stars but no "V" on his Bronze Star.  Mention in Despatches on his British War Medal.  Maybe wound up his career as an attache or other extended service in Italy.  Lots of anomalies to puzzle over.  

Hugh

Hugh absolutely I agree the foreign decorations you would think would make it easier to trace. I haven't really put a lot of time into it recently but have been wanting to get back into the research aspect of it 

I appreciate the input it give me a starting point to think about

Edited by Sal