News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Iron Cross - genuine or fake

Hello all.

I am in unfamiliar waters here and would appreciate any help given. I have come into a number of German medals. One WWI Iron Cross (apparently) and four WWII German crosses and medals. I shall post the WWII items on the appropriate sub forum.

This is the WWI Iron Cross -

I have tried to capture relevant close ups (I tried to pick out what was important from other threads) the "makers mark" ( I think) on the ring is either W.S or S.M.

Other close ups that may be of interest ...

I appreciate your help here. Any ideas of value ? I dont mind a PM.

best regards

Thomas

Hi,

its good.

market value would be about EUR35-40 I think..

I think Chris is talking about the market value in Germany. I've seen them for around 25 GBP in the UK and A$100 in Australia, dealers will naturally charge more but offer much less if you're selling.

It depends on the country you're in but EUR35-40 is a good basis.

Tony

There are makers that use WS & SW. I can't really tell from the close up shot but it looks like a Z or N and an S on it's side ? A clearer shot would help if possible. The cross is a good one though.

I've seen crazy prices for EK2s on U.K & U.S sites, from 100 pounds to $250 OUCH! The euro market still seems sane but saying this 30- 85 euros is the range depending on the seller.

Thnak you, Gentlemen, for your answers and comments.

I am really glad that this cross is genuine because as Pagan says, local (for us) prices are "insane" - and I am not going to tell you the price I paid for this one, just that it has now turned out to be a looooooooooooooong loooooooooooooong term investment!

I am glad that I have one though, along with the other crosses and medals, and I intend to clarify who the maker was. I still think it is either W.S or S.W rather than a Z or N. I shall try to get a better photo today.

best regards

Thomas

• 2 weeks later...

Thnak you, Gentlemen, for your answers and comments.

I am really glad that this cross is genuine because as Pagan says, local (for us) prices are "insane" - and I am not going to tell you the price I paid for this one, just that it has now turned out to be a looooooooooooooong loooooooooooooong term investment!

I am glad that I have one though, along with the other crosses and medals, and I intend to clarify who the maker was. I still think it is either W.S or S.W rather than a Z or N. I shall try to get a better photo today.

best regards

Thomas

Overpaying a bit is way better than buying a fake or lose one in the mail.

In 10 years you'll think about it as a good buy for sure.