News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

FÜR AKTIVE ARBEIT Insignia.

Hallo Gents.

I know we had a thread with regards these but I cant seem to locate it.

Recently here in Romania I was shown this piece, which looks very "Bling-Bling"

Can anybody give me any information with regards this Gilt piece?

Kevin in Deva. :D

Kevin - These are both Gesellschaft für Sport und Technik (GST) badges a DDR paramilitary youth organization. The "For Active Labor" gold pin is relatively common and was used from the early 1960s to 1990. There are 4 earlier version of this pin from the 50s which are much rarer. As to what it was awarded for I'm not certain, but my hunch is that it was given for active involvement in the organization. Kevin

Edited by ehrentitle

Kevin - These are both Gesellschaft für Sport und Technik (GST) badges a DDR paramilitary youth organization. The "For Active Labor" gold pin is relatively common and was used from the early 1960s to 1990. There are 4 earlier version of this pin from the 50s which are much rarer. As to what it was awarded for I'm not certain, but my hunch is that it was given for active involvement in the organization. Kevin

Many thanks you for the reply, :beer:

Do you have any pictures of the other, earlier pins?

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

Kev,

The first image you posted is a GST membership badge... there were two basic versions of this badge and the one you posted looks to be the earlier version. The earlier version would measure around 27mm tall while the later would measure 18mm. The early version has a safety pin-type back, while the later version can be pin backed or stick pin.

The "Active Labour" badge that you have appears to be the final version (aluminum). While I do have images of some earlier versions in a Bartel book, I hesitate to post due to copyright restrictions. But, I can tell you that the very first version had a large red star (with a small GST emblem centered) where the GST emblem appears on the one you posted. The large red star ended with the first version. Then there were subsequent versions, between that and yours, issued, all basically looking like yours with the exception of a tri-coloured shield (German) at the intersection of the wreathes at the base. The versions were determined by (a) the material used and (b) the application, or not, of polyester/resin coating.

Edited by Greg Collins