News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

and the second good photo for this week , unfortunately without a date , name or anything else written on it but the photographer is from Sigmaringen , maybe this officer is a nobleman from this small line....

He wears a "Goldenes Vlies" around his neck , what is the word in english please...? Not often seen on german officers...

One of the stars seems to be of the Black eagle order - the other one is really not good to see....

the medal bar is a bit hmmmm curious , first red eagle with swords then Long service cross and then Hohenzollern with swords ?!?! Or is N°2 something else??? Then comes what I think are two crosses for 1866 , the 1864 medal and the 1870 medal..... then an austrian cross and an unknown medal.........

too much unknown here.....please help to give this man his name back...

Guest Rick Research

Oh eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeasy--

Carl Anton Fürst von Hohenzollern. Born 1811, died 1885.

That is his standard portrait

Not having any luck searching for additional photos but is the unidentified GC Star the Royal Victorian Order? I can't find anything identifying him as receiving it, did find reference to Tower and Sword, but that is not what he is wearing.

Judging by the star portion and the white of the actual cross, as well as the time period, just a stab....

Tony

They have a nice, albeit small display for decorations from Hollenzollern-Sigmaringen at Schloss Hohenzollern in Sigmaringen. (I would have remembered that medal bar! )

Just down the road in Hechingen is Burg Hohenzollern. They have some awesome medals there in the treasury to view from the Kaiser's line. Well worth a trip in both cases. Since they are off the beaten USA tourist path, brush up on your German.

Side note: Rick will you be attending the service of your fine Senator?

Edited by Daniel Cole