News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My collection of India Police (Special Duty) medals

I find these to be interesting medals in that they seem to be official/unofficial medals awarded to the police by the police for duty in harsh conditions. The quality varies quite a bit as they are produced in several different areas with the bars themselves showing a vast range of quality. As to the number of bars, it is hard to say. My collection has 16 different medal bars and there seems to be a few more ("a few more" may be an understatment). The ribbons vary a lot as well with three different variations displayed in my collection. The different ribbons are due to the different manufacturers and the differences do not indicate different conditions or police services etc. The stripes on the ribbon should be displayed/worn with the red stripe to the viewers left. However this too varies even in wear with some seen with the red stripe to the viewers right. The medal show here issued for service in Gujarat being one such medal ribbon. I have not corrected this error as the medal arrived with the ribbon fixed in this position (as worn).

The obverse shows the state emblem and the reverse shows the high Himalays. The mountain is labeled as Gangotri which probably refers to the Gangotri Glacier located in the Uttarashi District, Uttarakhand, India in a region bordering China. The Gangotri Glacier is the source for the Ganga (Ganges) River which is considered holy by Hindus and worshiped as the Goddess Ganga in Hinduism. [see Wikipedia, Gangotri Glacier for more information].

While these medals are issued unnamed some may be found named, however, these were done by the individual officer and are not an official naming. The recipients are published in the Gazette of India by name and number as per legisation.

Portions of my research for this post is taken from, Medals and Decorations of Independent India, Edward S. Haynes and Rana T.S. Chhina, published by Manohar, 2008.

I have photographed my collection in pairs to save some space. I hope you enjoy looking at my collection of Police (Special Duty) medals

Regards

Brian

The first photo shows the obverse and reverse of these medals.

That's my collection for now, if anyone would like to add to this post please, as always, feel free to do so. That's how we all learn.

While some look down on these medals as unworthy I see them as representing many of the problem spots in India today and a part of the Nation's history.

Regards

Brian

Brian - absolutely fascinating - I had no idea that these medals existed. The modern Police history of a great Country and exactly what I think we all hoped for with the the new sub-forum.

I agree with you that the quality is local - but in no way does that subtract from them - what I also, do find interesting is that, whilst living in Canada,you have sought these out and built-up a substantial collection.

One thing that does come to me from this post - is that we desperately need an index on each sub-Forum. Information , such as this, is valuable for future collectors and it is a pity that it should become buried and not easily found. I'll suggest it on the Lounge.

Hi Mervyn,

I guess it is a bit strange for a fellow in Canada to collect the medals of India. It all started with British medals such as the India General Service Medals to Indian recipients, then...well you know how it goes.

I do like your idea of an index of some sort. I've found it difficult to go back through the posts looking for research material or trying to find a particular post that I barely remember but know is here. There is a search engine (I hope that is the correct term) that you can use but it is not an index. I will be interested in how this turns out.

Regards

Brian

• 10 years later...

Interesting. It seems ages since I took out my collection of Indian Police Service Medals and looked them over. I'm sure adding the COVID19 service medal to my collection will not be something that I'll see anytime soon, perhaps not even within my collecting lifetime. 

Thanks for this new information and the excuse for me to go over my medals collection once again.

Regards

Brian

India Police Medals.JPG