News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Africa Service Medal 40-45

The African War Medal 1940-1945 was awarded to officers and other ranks of the Belgian Armed Forces who served at least one year between 10 May 1940 and 7 May 1945 in Africa or the "Force Republic" (best described as the colonial armed forces). Instituted 30 January 1947 by Prince-Regent Karel, this medal could be awarded with up to four bars: Nigerie, Moyen-Orient (Middle East), Madagascar and Bimanie. Aircrew personnel received a double wing pin on the ribbon for service in an operational or transport unit.

A rectangular bronze medal with rounded lower edge and sloping shoulders with a laterally pierced loop for the ribbon suspension. The medal front depicts the heads of a European soldier and an African soldier wearing a kepi with the dates "1940-1945 below. Signed "TDUPAGNE" (for the Belgian African sculpture Arthur Dupagne, 1895-1961). The reverse is plain.

Belgian forces served in the colonies of the Congo and Ruanda-Urundi but also in Nigeria, Libya, Egypt, Sudan, Palestine and Madagascar during WWII. There was a separate medal issued to Belgians forces who helped restore Ethiopia to Emperor Haile Selassie in 1941 following the earlier Italian invasion.

I have seen this medal in groups without any bars attached to the ribbon so would the bare ribbon account for service in Libya, Egypt, Sudan or Palestine? Or, should there be at least the bar " Moyen-Orient" (Middle East) to cover these service areas? I truly do not know. Are there others out there with the answer? Here is the medal in my collection.

Edited by Gldank

Hi there

According to me the medal could be awarded without bars for one year service in the colonial armed forces between 40-45. Not necessarily partaking in any campaigns.

By the way James, it's "Force Publique" not "Force République", which is rather like cursing in the church where a royal colony is concerned eh... ;)

cheers

l4h

Hi there

According to me the medal could be awarded without bars for one year service in the colonial armed forces between 40-45. Not necessarily partaking in any campaigns.

By the way James, it's "Force Publique" not "Force République", which is rather like cursing in the church where a royal colony is concerned eh... wink.gif

cheers

l4h

blush.gifThank you my friend, I stand corrected! Heaven forbid I cuss in church. blush.gif

I found some more info on the bars:

NIGERIE - Three months service in Nigeria.

MOYEN-ORIENT - Six months service, Egypt, Palestine, North Africa, Tripolitania and Sudan.

MADAGASCAR - One month service in Madagascar.

BIRMANIE - Three months service in Burma.

Edited by Gldank