News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Group Of WWII Flight Wings

I attended a local auction today and picked up this framed group of WWII Flight Wings. All seem to be original to the period and are from RAF, RAAF and RCAF. Your oppinions would be gratefully appreciated as I'm not that conversant on this period. However I thought that they were a nice collection of period wings and would look nice on my wall.

I like them they all look good. If you have a black light shine it on them and it'll tell you for sure.

Cheers

Chris

Chris,

All are OK under blacklight scan. Even the backing behind the badges doesn't shine out. The back of the frame has very old paper covering, so I guess from the period. I haven't seen many of the RAF Signals wings before or the original ASR arm badges. So for £30 the lot, I'm more than happy.

Mike

Pete, Yes you could say that I'm more than happy with my purchase. Being a local Auction House I guess there weren't many military collectors there. My good luck I guess.

Mervyn,

I had that gut feeling about these so bought on impulse. What pee's me off more was that there was a mixed bag of items in an old hat box. This lot included what was listed as "costume jewellery" ... however on looking into it, all was not as stated. In there was, amongst other things, two ZULU Hanging Necklaces along with various other items of jewellery and interesting items. I was prodded in the side by the other half when I bid up to £50 and told no more. I'm now kicking myself for not going the full length with this lot.

The two necklaces were definately palm leaf stringing and looked exactly like the one you posted on the Zulu thread the other day.

I could throttle the other half now.

Mike

Every collector I know has this 'guilt' feeling. When I started collecting Police items every purchase was a 'soul searching' exercise - I've spent the money set aside for rates etc. many times to make sure I got something good. My advice to collectors now, is buy - good pieces are getting harder to find every year, and money makes itself back-up - eventually. Pity about letting the box slip away - who knows what else was in the box and if it was one of the market table dealers who bought, then it's doubtful if they will be recognised.