elephant12

1970s-80s field uniform collar patches?

Did the Albanian army have collar patches on their field uniforms or were they left plain? Also what type of helmets were worn 1970s-80s? Ranjit.

Did the Albanian army have collar patches on their field uniforms or were they left plain? Also what type of helmets were worn 1970s-80s? Ranjit.

Dear Elephant (strange name!!!)

You are not clear with your question. You are interested in the collar patches of Albanian Army in the 70-80-ies? If it is so, during this period, 1975-1991, the Albanian army has the uniform Mod.75, with simple rectangular red patches of the same form, for officers and soldiers. Here enclosed a photo of mine, during my military service.

The Helmets of our Army, have this development:

1944-1952: Helmets of ex Italian army and some Russian helmets

1952-1970: Russian helmets and occasionally even Italian.

1970-2000: Chinese helmets and occasionally even Russians.

Attach a photo of Albanian soldiers in Mod.66 uniform, meeting an Chinese officer.

Best regards,

Artan

Hello Artan!

It´s really nice to see photographs of this great quality!

I wound´t mind at all if you would post some more!

Greetings

Péter

Hello Artan!

It´s really nice to see photographs of this great quality!

I wound´t mind at all if you would post some more!

Greetings

Péter

Dear Peter,

The models of the military uniforms of the Albanian Army, during the communist period, are the following:

Mod.44: Yugoslavian rank system.

Mod.45: Local rank system and uniforms (something similar to the A-H uniforms).

Mod.47: Soviet rank system and soviet model uniforms (bronze epaulets).

Mod.52: -“-. Closed collar. (soviet production epaulets).

Mod.56: -“-. Closed and open collar.

Mod.66: W/o ranks. A mix soviet-chinese model uniforms.

Mod.75: W/o ranks. Chinese model uniform.

I am interested to any kind of materials about the Albanian military 1912-1991.

Regards,

Artan

Hello Artan ,many thanks for your reply and photos ,you've certainly ansswered all my queries. Best Regards Ranjit.

I found this photo on Internet ...

g549p.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Somebody can tell me if the men on the photo are officers or sub-officers ? Personally, I would say that they are sub-officers because they are wearing a closed collar jacket ...

I found this photo on Internet ...

g549p.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Somebody can tell me if the men on the photo are officers or sub-officers ? Personally, I would say that they are sub-officers because they are wearing a closed collar jacket ...

Dear Euronymous,

They are two officers of Sigurimi (blue collar patches) in M.66 uniform, but around 1970. The M.66 uniform was only with the closed collar jacket. The opened jacked was reentered with the M.75 uniform.

There was no distinktion between officers and nc officers on the M.66 uniform.

Regards,

Artan

Hello Artan

Thanks for your help with these nice informations. They continued to wear the closed collar jacket in the 80's ? With the opened collar jacket, there was a distinction between officers and NCO ? On the photo with the sigurimi officers, I would say they are not wearing a belt, It was possible to wear the uniform without belt ?

Hello Euronymous,

Uniform M.75 for officers: Two types, with closed and opened collar. With and/or without belt. Hat of classic type for officers.

Uniform M.75 for NCO: Only with closed collar. Without belt. Hat type as for soldiers, but of different material.

Regards,

Artan

I continue to be amazed and impressed at the detailed knowledge here! Thanks

I like how the sigurimi had matching collar patches and socks! A nice rare photo though, did the border troops have green collar patches in Soviet style?

Hi Belaruski,

This is an albanian officer of Border Troops, in M.61 uniform. You can see the green ribbon of his cap.

Regards,

A.

Hi belaruski,

It is almost impossible to find albanian hats of Models pre 1966 period (M.45, M.47, M.52, M.61).

This is an very rare uniform Mod.61 of a sigurimi major from my collection.

Regards,

A.

Hi Artan,

That's amazing, I started off collecting Soviet uniforms 1918-1945 and now I've ended up focussing on Albanian medals! But this picture could make me diversify again!

What about a post 1966 border troops cap?

What about a post 1966 border troops cap?

After 1966 ( the year of ranks abolishing) there was no differences between different corps. They wear all the same uniforms and hats. Unique diference: the collar patches of M.66. This unique difference was abolished with the M.75 uniform, which unify all in red patches.

Regards,

A.

Thanks! I presumed they'd have kept the caps, so now I can see that a border troop's cap would be VERY hard to find!

After the abolition of the ranks (1966), for the officials was very dangerous to keep in the wardrobe the old uniforms. Could be accused "for nostalgia". Some of them told me that they had destroyed all the old uniforms for this reason. This is the reason of the extreme difficulty to find albanian uniforms of pre-1966.

Regards,

A.

That's sad to hear. I know when the Soviet uniforms changed in 1943 some soldiers still wore the old style uniforms until they too were 'pressured' to adopt the new ones.

After the collapse of the regime in 1991, army continued to wear the old uniforms ? I suppose buttons (with star) of the jackets has been replaced ?

Dear Euronymous,

The old uniforms was in use till 1995 but with the ranks added. The same for the buttons.

Dear Belaruski,

This is an service jacket of an major-general of Sigurimi. The buttons are with the albanian coat of arms.

During of 40 years of the Comunist Regime were three generals of Sigurimi at all.

Regards,

Artan

Edited by Artan Lame

Hello Artam Lame, this morning i discovered this source of information about Albanian army. I am trying to find a person who would tell me something about Albanian MILITARY TRAFFIC CONTROLERS. The reason is that i am trying to collect all the Warsaw Pact uniforms for such a branch of army. I know that Albania was not a member for a long time but I would like to have it anyway. Would you be so kind and share with me some information. Did you have such a units? Did the soldiers had white helmets or belts or what? Thank you very much for a respond. Have a nice day and great year 2013. Sincerelly yours Robert - Regulirovcik