Hello!

Does anyone know something about a name on the slate, "Breuning" in connection with the Sturm-Btl.16?

Very interesting picture Andy!

"Cirkus Breuning" of Sturmbataillon 16 - is what the group calls themselves - perhaps Breuning is the name of the leader, the NCO in the picture.

The commander of SB16 was Rittmeister Henke. I will post more info of SB16 tomorrow.

Hardy

Could you post a close-up of these shoulder-straps

Edited by Naxos

Hi Hardy!

Thanx for the info! I try to upload a close-up. Interesting is also the telegraph-buckle

I have a copy of a Militaer=Pass of a machine gunner of Sturm=Bataillon Nr. 5 (Rohr) , given to me by a kind e-friend, and the impression I had from studing it was that the machine gunners were supplied to this unit by some sort of outside entity. Possibly a MG school that also acted like a Ersatz=Bataillon? Anyone have an idea on this?

Bob Lembke

Hmmmm....I seem to recall that there were MG schools that troops were sent to so as to learn the trade. I'm off to Cron to see what he says.

WHAT is that mans buckle (on the left of the sign holder)????? :Cat-Scratch:

WHAT is that mans buckle (on the left of the sign holder)????? :Cat-Scratch:

Telegraphen buckle

I just found out that Major Henke was the second commander of Sturmbataillon 16.

The first commander of StB 16 was Major Ludwig von Breuning.

Von Breuning commanded the StB 16 from Dec 1916 until May 1918. During the 12th Isonzo battle, Oct. to Dec. 1917, he led a detachment consisting of 2.(w) Kompanie Stb16, Flammwerferzug StB16 and several companies of StB14. The group called itself Sturmbataillon von Breuning.

On March 28, 1918 Major Ludwig von Breuning took command of the Württenberg Gebirgsbataillon and in May of the same year he took over as commander of Reserve Infanterie Regiment 121.

Edited by Naxos

Hi Hardy!

Thanx a lot for the informations! Right yesterday I bought myself a book about the Sturmbataillon 16! So I wanted to update my question too. Thanx for doing that for me... 2014.gif

Hi Hardy!

Thanx a lot for the informations! Right yesterday I bought myself a book about the Sturmbataillon 16! So I wanted to update my question too. Thanx for doing that for me... 2014.gif

Andy, did you get this one?

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=41968&st=0&p=388311&hl=sturmbataillon&fromsearch=1&#entry388311

Hi Hardy!

Exatly this one! It´s very nice book! Interesting photos and unknown bachground for a cheap price. It´s very recommandable!

If you are interested in Sturmbataillone, I can recommend the following (if you are able to speak french...)

Jean-Claude Laparre: Les "Gladiateurs" - Les formations offensives dans l´armée allemande 1914-1918

cheers.gif

If you are interested in Sturmbataillone, I can recommend the following (if you are able to speak french...)

Jean-Claude Laparre: Les "Gladiateurs" - Les formations offensives dans l´armée allemande 1914-1918

cheers.gif

I have it alredy, another good book indeed! :cheers:

I will send you a pm

Ciao Naxos, is possible have a scan of this page of the book?

8.6 Die Teilnahme der 2. (württ.) Sturmkompanie beim Durchbruch
am Isonzo 1917 70

I'm digitizing a nice panel with 24 photographs concerning the Sturm Batallion 16 in Italy and I'm collecting information. As soon as I have done the job I will publish it on my website:

www.grandeguerraphotoarchive.com

Grazie

Paolo

cover.jpg

Thi is on of 24 photos

_DSC4717.jpg

And this is the recto,

The translation:

X: mein Herr Leutnant W.Wuehrer, Sturmbatl. 16

"Staff of Assault-Battalion of the Armygroup
Herzog Albrecht , in front of
our accomodation in