News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Badges for some slightly less scary people...the WO2

• Replies 95
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Australian Army WO2, embroidered, service dress, current issue. Mess dress is the same just on a white background. The backing patch is designed to be large enough to cover the previous rank, after its removal.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

I thought the Aust. badges have a different feel about them from the British - perhaps it's the big pearls ? I do think though that the ones worn on the front of the shirts to be a little confusing. I appreciate that they are mainly to stop sniper action - and also, that troops will know their own ranks - however, it could easily be mistaken for a Major's rank badge - at least under the circumstances it would be worn.

The Saint's Rhodesian set are also interesting - must be almost the complete set ?

I thought the Aust. badges have a different feel about them from the British - perhaps it's the big pearls ? I do think though that the ones worn on the front of the shirts to be a little confusing. I appreciate that they are mainly to stop sniper action - and also, that troops will know their own ranks - however, it could easily be mistaken for a Major's rank badge - at least under the circumstances it would be worn.

Hello Mervyn,

You are correct in indicating that one could confuse a WO2 rank slide with that of a Major. The main difference is that the WO2 rank is surrounded by the square border and the Major is not. That prevents the confusion although they are still hard to read from a distance. When I have time I will find some others to post a comparison pic.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

Hello Mervyn and others,

To aid in seeing the difference here is a pic of both Australian Army Major and WO2 rank slides for comparison (Major on the left, WO2 on the right).

As can be seen while both ranks wear a crown it is a different crown. Of course some comment could be made on the relative size of the crowns but ... :D

I hope this is of use.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

• 2 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...

I've posted this card on the thread on WOI's badges, but have posted it here as well as it shows different insignia for the Master Gunner 1st, 2nd & 3rd Class.

A card from Gallaher's "The Great War, Second Series", issued 1915.

"Badges of Rank - Miltary"

"Warrant & Non Commissioned Officers (1)"

"(Worn on the Sleeve)"

It identifies the badges shown as:

a) Conductor Army Ordnance Corps etc

b) Master Gunner, 1st & 2nd Class,

c) Staff Sergeant Major, 1st Class etc,

d) Bandmaster,

e) Master Gunner, 3rd Class,

f) Quarter Master, Corporal Major, etc.

Any one who seeks true understanding of the subject needs a copy of the JSAHR Special by Major Nicholas Dawnay "Badges of Rank of WO and NCO in the British Army". Scarce as rocking horse by-product but there is, as far as I can tell, only one error in it.

Re. the CSgt wearing of the Colour badge ...... it was only EVER authorised and provided for the scarlet dress tunic .... all scarlet frocks, all SD, only ever had the crown and three chevrons alone. Some garments had NO badge authorised.

The only exception to this is the 5 button Indian Pattern Scarlet Frock, provided by the Government of India as the 'best' winter uniform. This bore the colour badge. The only tunics provided in India were for the ViceRoys household troops.

• 1 month later...

SOUTH AFRICAN NAVY WO2 BADGE 1956 TO 1961

The SA Navy, in line with the Royal Navy abolished the Warrant Officer (WO) rank in 1949 with all existing WO’s moving into various Commissioned Officer posts. Because the SA Army and the SA Air Force still had the WO ranks there was a move to create similar ranks in the SAN. The SAN wanted to introduce a “Fleet Chief Petty Officer (FCPO)” rank equal the other WO’s. This was rejected by SADF and stated that a FCPO rank would be equal to CPO’s and Staff/Flight Sergeants. The SAN then fell in line with the other services except that although the WO1 badge was the same (plain Coat of Arms, the wreath was only for RSM’s) they used the Lion of Nassau (SAN Logo) within a wreath as the WO2 badge the Army and Air Force were at that stage still using the CW crown in wreath badge). With the formation of the Union in 1961 the badges changed to be the same throughout the SADF, plain CoA for WO2, CoA with in a wreath for WO1 and WO1 on a colour back ground for RSM/MAA (after 1985). The first WO2’s (6 in total) in the SAN were appointed in 1956, so only 6 people ever used this badge and only for about 5 years. It is very scarce and I only know of 4 badges in collections. Please note that the above is in my humble opinion and only based on hearsay from relatives of those WO’s, if any one has added information I would really appreciate it.

Neville

• 1 year later...

I have only seen one of these before in metal.The story that went with it was also that it was a briefly worn WOII badge worn in the 'fifties.

Have also seen a picture of the red on black embroidered version.

The SAN was, I think, somewhat forced to introduce WOI & WOII in the 1950s once the SA Corps of Marines was disestablished and most of its pers were absorbed into the SA Navy instead.

The crown was officially replaced in 1957 for WOII in the other services but only in 1958 did people actually start wearing the new badges. Some more recent SAN WOII badges attached. The blue on white was worn on the blue shirt (Action Work Dress) in the 1990s. I'm not sure about the one on the right. I think it may have been worn on the black windbreaker jacket introduced in the early 1990s?

I also came across this undated press photo from the Great War: On the British Western Front in France, British troops grew potatoes and vegetables behind the front.

Left: A WO cl.III of the Welch Regiment, Right: A sergeant of the London Scottish.

ou5q53.jpg

287m461.jpg

• 3 years later...