News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

R A Group

here is my most recent group to gunner 159821 , George Lawrence

here is the MIC for him.It shows that he was only entitled to the pair.

2dumhdt.jpg

And his Short service Attestation papers

Page 1

2mruz9h.jpg

Page 2

riszrt.jpg

Statement of service

n34rp5.jpg

More paperwork

72dgzt.jpg

291gqyp.jpg

wbfc01.jpg

That is about it.So any help at all on halping decipher what is on these documents.

As i mentioned it looks like they have been damaged by water.

Cheers

They are quite difficult to read, but I did find another unit that he was posted to. His original unit appears to 447th Siege Battery, but is posred to 149th Siege Batttery on 7/9/1918, but returns to 447th and is then posted to 223rd Siege Battery on 21/3/1919.

Now here are some interesting bits for us Geeks;- he "Attests" on the 8/12/1915. Which would be in compliance with the National Registration Act of 1915, but I'm not sure if it's with the Group System(Derby Scheme), which commenced early in 1915, a good year before the Miltary Services Act(Conscription) came into force.

The following day 9/12/1915 he is placed on the "Army Reserve" and sent home, this may be because it appears that he lives with his mother who may be a widow.

He isn't "Mobilised" until 5/5/1917, so he is infact a late entry into the war. Again though I can't see anything which would imply whether he was called up as a Derby Scheme lad(Volunteer) or under the M.S.A.(Conscript).

Edited by Graham Stewart

Have had another trawl through and found his Grouping was 9/27 and this can be seen on his A.F. B.103 "Casualty Form Active Service" form. I haven't got my notes with me, which would have told me his trade band.

Under the Derby Scheme enlistment was voluntary, but your call-up was delayed depending on family circumstances. However the Group's of the Derby Scheme weren't called forward until January 1916, the initial batches going to the Territorial infantry.

The following May/June 1916 the Miltary Service Act comes into being, which we more know as Conscription. This system used the Derby Scheme's earlier organisational set-up to call forward Conscripts.

Military Tribunals were also prevelant at the same time in which those who were 'conscripted', could appeal that their work was of more use to the war effort. This didn't effect the Derby Scheme lads as they had already indicated as Volunteers that they would serve no matter what, but their social status obviously decreed which Group they were placed in and when they would be called up. For instance if I remember correctly 19year old's, who were single, were placed in Group 1 and so on.

Later Army Council Instructions would relay to administrators which Conscripted Groups would be called forward and which sections of the Army they would serve in. All-in-all both schemes worked very well in supplying men for the front, as it was the fairest way in which to see the men distributed.

Edited by Graham Stewart