News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

South African Cadet Corps Medal

NPGilbert

Hi all

I am currently busy with research into this award of the South African Defence Force (1966 to 1976). I have plenty reading matter but require good quality images of the medal.

Good images of the medal is as scarce as the medal itself.

Will appreciate all inputs.

Regards

Norman Cat%20Scratch.gif

Norman - I don't recall even seeing one. However, The Johannesburg War Museum are supplied with copies of all SA medals and should be able to send you pictures. The only member I can think of, who could possibly have an example is Will - at SABrigade. (I may not have got his URL correct - look him up and IM)

sabrigade

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

Norman - I don't recall even seeing one. .........

Hi Mervyn

Thanks for your input, I will follow that up.

Yes, the medal is quite an interesting medal in the old SADF award system. Not too well known or remembered. I am currently trying to remove the dust from history with regard to this award.

Regards

Norman :cheers:

• 2 months later...

Hi all

I am currently busy with research into this award of the South African Defence Force (1966 to 1976). I have plenty reading matter but require good quality images of the medal.

Regards

Norman Cat%20Scratch.gif

Hi Norman,

Perhaps these will help?

Cadet Corps and Cadet Corps Champion Shot medals.

Cheers, Gary (pm me for better pics)

Edited by SAMedals

• 1 month later...

Hi Norman,

Sorry I may be a bit off thread here, have just joined this forum. While doing your research did you find any information on the Naval Cadet Corps (noe Sea Cadet Corps) long service medal. I served in the Naval Cadets at school and continued as a Adult Instructor (Officer) after my NS. I was awarded the NCC 10 year long service http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_01_2010/post-8961-126399790992.jpglater in the late 90's the medal was changed, but I have been unable to find out how many were presented and if they are reconised SA awards.

Neville

Hi all

Regards

Norman Cat%20Scratch.gif

Hi Norman,

....... While doing your research did you find any information on the Naval Cadet Corps (noe Sea Cadet Corps) long service medal. I served in the Naval Cadets at school and continued as a Adult Instructor (Officer) after my NS. I was awarded the NCC 10 year long service later in the late 90's the medal was changed, but I have been unable to find out how many were presented and if they are reconised SA awards.

Neville

Morning Neville

Welcome to the forum. Your medal is something totally new to me. I did not even know of it's existance. According to me the medal was not part of the award range of the SADF and SANDF. The award is an organisational one. Recognition wise, no if you look at the table and order of precedence of South African Awards.

Still very interesting.

Regards

Neville - welcome to GMIC. That's a very interesting award you have posted and certainly seems to be rare. I have some friends who were based at Salisbury Island in Durban - will ask them if they have ever seen one. Norman will have to re-write his book now ??

The following information was found ( with thanks to Captain W M Bartie

Director South Africa Sea Cadets)

The Bronze and Silver medals were augmented by 30 Years which is a miniature anchor affixed to the 20 year medal ribbon, and also a Gold medal for 40 years.

When the old medals ran our some years ago we replaced them with a new medal of similar design but perhaps more professionally manufactured. The medals are coated in clear resin to protect the enamel work. The 10 year and 20 year ribbons are the same as the old medals however the Gold Medal ribbon is similar to the 20 year except that the two inner stripe are also gold in colour.

The total number of medals given out approximates to:

Bronze 56

Silver 23

Gold 6

Neville

........... Norman will have to re-write his book now ??

Morning Mervyn and Neville

Luckily for me, my book deals with a seperate medal. Neville thanks for the follow-up information you provided on the NCC medals.

This is why I enjoy this forum - Always something new to discuss, ponder or learn.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all - New Member & herewith a close-up of my Cadet Corps Medal ... # 153 ..........

Afternoon DuneRider

Hartly welcome to GMIC. Happy to see another SA participant.

Did you buy your medal from Franni recently? Missed out due to penny shortage at the time of the auction.

Enjoy

• 3 years later...

Hi all, first post.

I see that an incomplete Cadet Corps Grand Champion medal recently sold for R7550.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/100777328/Full_Size_Cadet_Corps_Grand_Champion_Shot_Medal_Numbered_at_Back_Marked_Silver_Only_1cm_of_Ribbon.html

What's interesting is that another medal number was listed at R15,000 but not sold on Bid or Buy a few years ago is the same medal number pictured above.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/97809295/Cadet_Corps_Grand_Champion_Shot_Medal_full_size.html

Comments on the value would be appreciated.

Edited by Africanadian