News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mauser P.38 (byf 44)

Douglas Jr.

Hello there!

Few weeks ago I managed to get a batch of classic pistols. I took four guns in nice condition from a collector who is giving up the hobby.

This is one of them: a Mauser P.38, dated 1944, "v" block. Condition is great only bearing some holster wear in the high edges. It is matching down to the bone. From the beggining of my deal, this was my primary target, as I did not have a byf code in my collection. Besides that, the gun's condition was great, and it came with a nice hardshell holster (I was informed that this holster maker is somewhat scarce) and a spare mag. What more could I ask for? Now it stands together with my ac44, "f" block and I'm happy as a clown with this pair!

I tried to do my best with the pictures. I hope you guys enjoyed as much as I did.

Greetings,

Douglas

Edited by Douglas Jr.

• 4 weeks later...

It is a lovely weapon and in remarkable condition. What is the metal rod in the compartment alongside the holster - is it a cleaning kit ?

I don't think you've ever told us which Country you live-in Douglas - do you think this pistol spent it's life there ?

It is a lovely weapon and in remarkable condition. What is the metal rod in the compartment alongside the holster - is it a cleaning kit ?

I don't think you've ever told us which Country you live-in Douglas - do you think this pistol spent it's life there ?

Mervyn,

Thanks for your kind comments. What you see is a spare magazine, that came with the gun. Both magazines have stamps for the Mauser inspector (WaA135), which lead me to assume that they might original to the gun.

I live in Brazil, but I think that this gun came here as a war trophy. I don't know if you are aware, but we sent a Expeditionary Division ( 25,000 troops) to fight against the Germans in Italy, in 1944. They fought as part of the 5th Army under general Mark Clark from September 1944 until May 1945. We also sent a Fighter-Bomber Group, equipped with Republic P-47 Thunderbolt, which was attached to the 350th Fighter Group of the USAAF. That's why I think that this probably cvame as a souvenir, but its story was lost over the decades...

Greetings,

Douglas

Thankyou, Douglas. I knew Brazil had sent units, but not that it was such a large contribution. You had mentioned spare magazine, but the photo made it look very narrow.

I hope you realise that you live in one of my favourite Countries - if i were younger I would be living in Rio de Janeiro, even with it's crime couldn't be more dangerous then Sth. Africa. Did you ever know Major Amaro - he was with the Policia Militaria (have I spelt that right?) - probably long retired. When we stayed at his beach house , he always fired six shots from his service revolver to warn everybody he was home ....

Thankyou, Douglas. I knew Brazil had sent units, but not that it was such a large contribution. You had mentioned spare magazine, but the photo made it look very narrow.

I hope you realise that you live in one of my favourite Countries - if i were younger I would be living in Rio de Janeiro, even with it's crime couldn't be more dangerous then Sth. Africa. Did you ever know Major Amaro - he was with the Policia Militaria (have I spelt that right?) - probably long retired. When we stayed at his beach house , he always fired six shots from his service revolver to warn everybody he was home ....

This is because my pictures didn't show the magazine side view. Its position inside the holster made it look very thin.

Unfortunately I don't know Major Amaro - I live in São paulo, not Rio - but I have a few friends from "Policia Militar".

Thanks for the compliments about my country. If one day you decide to stops by in São Paulo, even as a tourist, let me know! We can have a dinner.

And here are few pictures of the magazine:

bfgb2h.jpg

24b7v35.jpg

s3g8c3.jpg

19qgya.jpg

Greetings,

Douglas.

Edited by Douglas Jr.

• 1 month later...