News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Greater East-Asia War Medal

Dieter3

So how many flavors of medal are there? They all seem to have the same obverse, but differ in the reverse. These are all green ribbon, this is the one I've seen most often:

Then there's this version with extra marking on the reverse (sorry, no pic. of the obverse.....):

• Replies 55
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul is correct. I think you have posted all the varieties. As for the last two you posted, the extra marking means 'pure silver' so these usually get a higher price. Although they are indeed not the real thing, they are certainly not fakes. Replicas, yes, but not fakes. The group that made these in the 1970s (and perhaps later) never intended to deceive anyone. They were given to veterans.

The reason I wrote that is I have read on other forums that people are angry that so many fake ones are being sold. If a seller is claiming that it is authentic when it isn't, the medal itself (and its makers) are not at fault; the seller is.

Cheers, Rich

Yeah, I was surprised to see that one with the blank reverse! I'm not yet in the market for one of these, just gathering data. I figured none of these were original, prices are a fraction of a fraction of what an original would go for I'd imagine! I certainly don't mind collecting an authentic, post-war reproduction!

On the one with the white ribbon - were these a later version of the medal, or were they made along with the green ribbon version? Wondering why the dramatic difference in design.

could the one with the blank reverse probably also be a fake? there is no hook on the backside and it looks like there wasn't any in the past... but on the other hand I see no point in faking this medal at all, maybe it is simply a unfinished one.

cheers

a l e x

Hi Dieter,

As long as your not spending a lot of money, I don't think you can go terribly wrong collecting these. They seem to be popular space fillers for many collectors; certainly a few interesting varieties.

Here is the front PIC of a supposedly original piece that sold on a high-end auction house a couple years ago. I can't find a reverse PIC and may not have one.

Tim

The border on originals should have only chrysanthemums and not anchors or stars or ???

Edited by Tim B

Hi Dieter,

As long as your not spending a lot of money, I don't think you can go terribly wrong collecting these. They seem to be popular space fillers for many collectors; certainly a few interesting varieties.

Here is the front PIC of a supposedly original piece that sold on a high-end auction house a couple years ago. I can't find a reverse PIC and may not have one.

Tim

The border on originals should have only chrysanthemums and not anchors or stars or ???

This is the medal which was in the ANS collection and I was the purchaser. I have posted photos of the reverse in one of the earlier posts in the Japan forum (or the collectors gallery) so take a look at it there.

:cheers:

What is the ANS collection?

So, the medal Tim posted looks a lot like the very first pic. way up at the top of the thread. The other ones, the differences are obvious. What are some of the tell-tale signs of the original replicas vs. the original originals?? I have also seen these in wooden cases with gilt writing as well as the black ones. In what kind of case were the originals placed?

ANS = American Numismatic Society. They sold all their non US items two years ago at Morton & Eden.

There are a number of die differences between the original and the post war piece. It will be one of the things I discuss once I finally get around to writing my book on Japanese medals since at the moment the information is not published. Also this piece differs from the comments made in Peterson so there is still some research needed to get to the bottom of the issue about the direction of the inscription on the bar (Peterson claims it is left to right only).

Regarding a case of issue, I do not know anybody who has ever seen an original. If one existed it would most likely have been a pasteboard box since this is what Japan had moved to for its awards by this time (even late war awards of the Sacred Treasure are in a pasteboard box).

Regarding a case of issue, I do not know anybody who has ever seen an original. If one existed it would most likely have been a pasteboard box since this is what Japan had moved to for its awards by this time (even late war awards of the Sacred Treasure are in a pasteboard box).

Interesting!! Were any of the Golden Kites or Rising Suns issued in pasteboard, or just the ST's?

Interesting!! Were any of the Golden Kites or Rising Suns issued in pasteboard, or just the ST's?

I am only aware of the Sacred Treasure in a pasteboard box. The Golden Kite continued to be issued in the lacquer case but I am not sure about the Rising Sun. One source claims that they were issued in a paper wrapper but there is no proof of this either way.

• 4 weeks later...

Something I have observed over the past several months of data collecting is that the White Ribbon versions will often have the rosette with them, while the Green Ribbon versions do not. Granted, I've only really been paying attention for the past 6-7 months or so, but I have never seen the green version with a rosette!

Can anybody verify one way or the other, did the "greens" ever come with them? Originals with rosettes?

Something I have observed over the past several months of data collecting is that the White Ribbon versions will often have the rosette with them, while the Green Ribbon versions do not. Granted, I've only really been paying attention for the past 6-7 months or so, but I have never seen the green version with a rosette!

Can anybody verify one way or the other, did the "greens" ever come with them? Originals with rosettes?

Nobody??

Is this closer to the real one anyone?  Wooden kiri box.  Finer detail on the backside characters.  

I've wondered about that too - the wooden case vs. the plastic ones. I like this one, still no idea how to tell an authentic authentic vs. authentic replica. I was thinking about bidding, but I've seen others in wooden cases, so I know they're out there. A bit more corrosion than I like to see, and some marks on the ribbon. I'm a picky bastard! ;)

I've wondered about that too - the wooden case vs. the plastic ones. I like this one, still no idea how to tell an authentic authentic vs. authentic replica. I was thinking about bidding, but I've seen others in wooden cases, so I know they're out there. A bit more corrosion than I like to see, and some marks on the ribbon. I'm a picky bastard! ;)

Well, if it was an original one, somebody got a darned good deal on it! :lol: