News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

MEDALS OF INDEPENDENT INDIA

Riley1965

Now that's very nice indeed.

The Anniversary Medal's ribbon and the 20 Years Long Service Medal's ribbon should be the other way around.

Oh, for the availability of research material on post 47 Indian medal recipients. It would be great to know what the MSM was awarded for.

Thanks for posting this group.

Now you MUST get into court mounting!

Regards

Brian

Here's a Tutorial for Court Mounting:

http://www.omsa.org/forums/courtmount.php

It's what i use to do mine.

:beer: Doc

An excellent tutorial, for another tutorial check out mine, it's at SAGONGS (South Asian Gongs) under General Discussions, Page 2.

It never hurts to get a couple of methods under your belt before you start.

Good luck,

Brian

An excellent tutorial, for another tutorial check out mine, it's at SAGONGS (South Asian Gongs) under General Discussions, Page 2.

It never hurts to get a couple of methods under your belt before you start.

Good luck,

Brian

Brian's Tutorial is also an excellent guide to making a court mount!!! :jumping:

:beer: Doc

Hi Doc and Brian,

Thankyou both for tje info on court mounting.I had a look at both of them a while back.I am going to buy some card etc this week and have a gospeechless.gif .I just hope i have plenty of ribbonsbanger.gif .I shell post the results as i have about 30 groups to mountblush.gif .If there any where i can get ribbons from for the post 1947 medals???

regards

Chris

Hi Doc and Brian,

Thankyou both for tje info on court mounting.I had a look at both of them a while back.I am going to buy some card etc this week and have a gospeechless.gif .I just hope i have plenty of ribbonsbanger.gif .I shell post the results as i have about 30 groups to mountblush.gif .If there any where i can get ribbons from for the post 1947 medals???

regards

Chris

Hi Chris,

You have 30 to mount?!!! Man you must live in heaven.

I have been wanting to enter a post on the way the Indian Tailor's actually court mount using six inches (one piece) rather than using two pieces of six inch as I usually do. I'll get on it this evening and post it. I can't put it on this post as the medals are pre 47 and don't fit this post but the method is the same they are using today.

I will PM you a good source for medals as the dealer wishes to remain private.

Regards

Brian

Hi Brian androlleyes.gif everyone,

I look forwards to seeing your post on the one piece of ribbon.It might get me out a hole with the lack of one or two type of ribbon i dont havejumping.gifjumping.gifjumping.gif .Thanks again for everyones help on court mounting.

regards

Chris

Hi Everyone,

This is one a the new groups i have just gor todayjumping.gifjumping.gifjumping.gif .It's a pair to the Indian Army Parachute Regiment 2014.gif .

1, Raksha medal to 13602139 ptr Gurnam Singh Para R

2, Sanya Seva with Himalaya clasp to 13602139 ptr Gurnam Singh Para R

Hi Everyone,

This is one a the new groups i have just gor todayjumping.gifjumping.gifjumping.gif .It's a pair to the Indian Army Parachute Regiment 2014.gif .

1, Raksha medal to 13602139 ptr Gurnam Singh Para R

2, Sanya Seva with Himalaya clasp to 13602139 ptr Gurnam Singh Para R

Nice to have medals to the Para, I look forward to seeing them in future posts.

Regards

Brian

In keeping with the last post regarding the Para R. here is my offering.

This group was awarded to:

IB522059 PTR. R. KUMAR

His medals are as follows,

Vishesh Seva Padak/Special Service Medal: Absent

Op Parakram Medal: Absent

Sainya Seva Medal: Absent

Ucchh Tungta Medal/High Altitude Medal: Absent

50th Independence Anniversary Medal: IB522059 PTR. R. KUMAR

PTR. = Paratrooper

This group arrived from India court mounted and is an official mounting.

It has been common in resent times for the soldiers to wear their medal ribbons mounted in this way even if the medals have as yet not arrived. There are several photos of soldiers in dress uniform wearing such mounts. I would post a photo to make my point but I do not have permission to post them and they are copy righted.

What we can tell about this paratrooper from his medals is as follows. We know from the High Altitude Medal he was serving after 1986 and that he served in the High Himalayas and that would make me think that the Sainya Seva Medal probably had the Himalaya clasp. The Special Service Medal only comes with two different clasps and I would think this would have had the Suraksha clasp as that was for security service in the Punjab as well as other areas of northern India, besides the other clasp is for Sri Lanka. The 50th Independence Anniversary Medal shows he was serving in 1997 in order to qualify to receive it. Last is the Op Parakram Medal for service during the military build up along the India/Pakistan border. This action took place from 2001 to 2003 with demining operations taking place into 2004. The absence of a 9 Years Long Service Medal would make me think he joined up in 1992 or after.

Regards

Brian

Hi Brian and Everyone,

What a nice group thanks for letting us see them Brainbeer.gif .Here is the photo of my Para Group.When looking at this pair they have been mounted i would say on a swing bar.I am going to try my first courting mounting on friday when i get my supplys speechless1.gifspeechless1.gifspeechless1.gifspeechless1.gif .

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyonerolleyes.gif ,

Here is my first go at court mounting with a very nice 1st for me a long service and good conduct medaljumping.gif .I think i have got a long way to go with court mounting banger.gif .I am useing the same pattern of mounting which is the same as five groups i have which comes from India.

• 2 months later...

I've been a bit lazy lately and have not been adding any groups to this thread nor to my Member's Gallery. Too busy saving the world I guess...only kidding the world is doomed. :whistle:

I just finished court mounting this group of eight that was awarded to,

3961965 Sep./Hav./JC-155373 Sub Kishori Lal of the Dogra Regiment.

I hope you like it.

His medals are as follows:

Special Service w/ the Sri Lanka clasp

Paschimi Star

Sangram Medal

Sainya Seva w/ the NEFA clasp

UCCHH Tungta/ High Altitude Medal

Videsh Seva Medal w/ the Sri Lanka clasp

20 Years Long Service Medal

9 Years Long Service Medal

This group shows a nice progression through the ranks from Sepoy (Private) to a Subedar (Captain) and service from the Punjab in the North West (Paschimi Star and Sangram Medal) to the North East (NEFA clasp to the Special Service Medal)as well as overseas service in Sri Lanka. Far from a comfortable service as indicated by the High Altitude Medal which is for service in the High Himalays above 9,000 feet and the NEFA clasp to the Sainya Seva Medal which is for construction of roads and air fields in an area south of the Chinese boarder and north of Assam.

I hope to be posting more groups within the next few days as well as updating my gallery so stay tuned in and please add some of your own to this thread.

Regards

Brian

Here is another group from the Dogra Regiment that I have resently completed court mounting.

This group was awarded to,

395709 SEP.BALDEV SINGH of the Dogra Regiment.

His medals are as follows:

General Service - Naga Hills clasp. This was a double issue and that is why one was mounted up alone. It would not have been part of the group.

Poovri Star

Sangram Medal

Sainya Seva Medal - Himalaya clasp

25th Independence Anniversary Medal

His medals show that he served in a combat zone during the 1971 Indo-Pakistani War in the Eastern Theatre as well as in the Naga Hills, an area between India and the former country of Burma, as well as in the Himalayas. The Sainya Seva Medal is awarded for service in severe climate and conditions.

• 3 months later...

I wonder if any GMIC member has examples of the medals awarded to Indian troops during the Korean War? The medals were:

General Service Medal 1947 with bar "Overseas Korea/1950-53"

Overseas Medal/Videsh Seva with bar "Korea"

Pictures of these medals would be much appreciated. Kevin R Ingraham's excellent book on the medals of the Korean War has only black and white photos of these medals. Strangely, this book makes no mention of an Indian version of the UN Korea Medal.

Regards

Brett

Brett,

If you are still following this thread, I'm the guy behind the book.

You should have read the whole thing ;>)

India is one of the nations that did not request a local language coinage and so recieved the english language coinage by default.

I appreciate the kind description of my old work! An updated version should be out in a year or so, if I don't get sidetracked again.

Anyone with good quality color photos of Indian Korea groups or singles for the new edition, please contact me. I wouldn't mind buying some 60 Para Fld Amb, RIAMC, material for my own Korean War collection, particularly the 1947 GSM w/ Overseas Korea bar.

Happy collecting!

Kevin

Edited by K.Ingraham

Kevin

Thanks for putting me right! Since my last post I have seen other reports on UN Korea Medals on the GMIC and elsewhere. Your book is still one of my favourites and I refer to it often. In the city where I live there is an informal 'medal club' that meets infrequently for 'show and tell' sessions and at the last meeting I took along your book and some of my Korean War medals and won a bottle of whiskey! You deserve a share of the bottle!

I look forward to seeing the new edition of your book.

Kind regards

Brett

INDIA HIGHER DEFENSE SECURITY CORPS MEDAL 1st Class

Here is another not so common India Medal,it's the Unnat Raksha Suraksha Corps medal or Higher Defense Security Corps Medal.

It was a corps formed in 1947 to afford a higher degree of protection to certain armed forces installation in India.

This corps was 31.000 personnel and the medal was given on a scale of 2 per thousand each year.

The medal itself was first established in 1964,but a second variety (shown here) replaced the 1st variety in 1969.The main difference is the bilingual reverse.

That medal was awarded to : " 8794817 SEP. NARAIN SINGH, D.S.C."

Emmanuel

INDIA TERRITORIAL ARMY DECORATION

This is again a seldom seen indian medal,it's the territorial Army Decoration,a rare early striking ones (unnamed from American Numismatic A ssociation sale).This medal was awarded for 20 years of services to the officers of the Territorial Army.

Emmanuel

INDIA WEST BENGAL GOVERNOR MEDAL

Here is the India West Bengal Governor Medal with name on bottom obverse.

Thanks to Ed for ID, who is ever welcome to help (I do not read bengali).Your book is very much valuable.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

A very brief post to correct some dangerous and persistent errors and misinformation regarding Korea medals above:

-- The GSM 1947 with clasp "Overseas Korea" was issued (in very small numbers, smaller than some seem to realise) to members of the 60th Para Field Abulance only. This was a very controversial clasp for some very embarassing service.

-- The UN Korea Medal was, initially, supposed to have been struck in Hindi (not "Sanakrit" as the UN believed). Some specimens were made at the Calcutta Mint and are still closely held there. The government policy did not, however, allow the acceptance and wear of these foreign awards (the only foreign awards allowed to be worn were some British awards, pre-1947). The manufacture was stopped and wear of this medal was disallowed. While some recipients (and even more dishonest dealers) have "mis-awarded" the English version to puff-up or create groups, no legitimate UN Korea medal in any language was ever worn by Indian troops. Discussion has been underway for some time to strike and award this medal to the few veterans who survive, but I think this is unlikely.

-- The Videsh Meva Medal with clasp "Korea" was awarded for service with the Neutral Nations Repatriation Force or Indian Custodial Forea in Korea. No individual could get both this medal and the general service medal (some qualified, and got the GSM and not Videsah Seva). The UN Medal, has it even existed, would not have covered this service.

For further information, please contact me off forum. I have been in contact with some off list and have only recently gotten additional information. I have already said more than I ever wanted to on this forum, but mistakes needed correction.