News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Feldgendarmerie Dog Handler Photo-Mystery Cypher

Feldgendarmerie did not wear cyphers or numbers on their straps (with obvious exceptions such as the GD worn by Grossdeutschland MPs etc)

Orange piped straps with numbers(Roman numerals) are for Wehrkreis Recruitment personnel.

One example of cyphers known to be worn by Feldgendarmerie is the GFP when on temporary attachment to Geheime Feldpolizei units, like this.

Close up of the strap doesn't help too much, but the first part of the Cypher could match an upper case "G". The rest isn't clear though. The first could also be a "6", but then if it is a three digit number,rather than letters, why yet another number above it, clearly a "1"

GFP were organised by Gruppe so "1" "GFP" would make sense for an attached person.

If the main part is "GFP" it all makes sense, but if not, then what the heck is it. Any ideas ?

• 2 weeks later...

That center charactor does not look like an "F"

It looks more like "64.." to me. That last character is anyone's guess.

Yeah, I did think it could have looked like 643. The problem is though, if it is a three digit number, whats the other numeral above for. It doesn't make sense. Feldgendarmerie didn't wear unit numbers on their straps. Guess this one will have to remain a mystery.

That strap you posted... is it Heer or LW? It looks LW blue to me.

Its an early Army strap with the Luftwaffe style tresse. It does look a bid odd on this scan, but definitely Army. The colour of the board is the usual dark green.

• 6 months later...

They did wore Uberschühe, as I've photographic evidence in my archive.

Interesting shot ! I have a couple of hundred good Feldgendarmerie photos but not a single one shows a numeral on the shoulder strap.(apart from maybe the NCO in the photo in this thread) )However there have been a couple of shots recently for sale on EBay where these slip on numbers have been worn.

I'm guessing that this was an early phenomenon. Certainly none of the shots I have from 1941 (invasion of Russia) onwards have numerals. So, I suppose the guy in the shot in this thread probably IS wearing numerals. If it is a three digit number, I still can't figure out the number or other emblem above it.

I'm working my way through compiling a full Order of Battle of all Feldgendarmerie units that existed for my book so I may find something that "fits" with this strap. It won't be a Trupp number but Abteilungs were usually expressed as Kompanie/Abt i.e. 1/501 so the numbers on the strap might indicate Kompanie and Abteilung, but still very strange.

Interesting shot ! I have a couple of hundred good Feldgendarmerie photos but not a single one shows a numeral on the shoulder strap.(apart from maybe the NCO in the photo in this thread) )However there have been a couple of shots recently for sale on EBay where these slip on numbers have been worn.

I'm guessing that this was an early phenomenon. Certainly none of the shots I have from 1941 (invasion of Russia) onwards have numerals. So, I suppose the guy in the shot in this thread probably IS wearing numerals. If it is a three digit number, I still can't figure out the number or other emblem above it.

I'm working my way through compiling a full Order of Battle of all Feldgendarmerie units that existed for my book so I may find something that "fits" with this strap. It won't be a Trupp number but Abteilungs were usually expressed as Kompanie/Abt i.e. 1/501 so the numbers on the strap might indicate Kompanie and Abteilung, but still very strange.

Many thanks, Gordon Williamson! A honor to hear this from you. This is also my only photograph where this occures. I have plenty more to add to my other thread and more upcoming. It is a three number digit. I am not certain of the number, I will make a better scan and post it tomorrow. Yet I ask myself why would a Feldgendarm wear an Uberschühe, or numbered shoulderboars?

Well I'm making a personellist of the Feldgendarmerie. It would be practicly impossible to have all names yet I try to make a complete as possible list. Especially those who fallen and ranking officers. Feldgendarmerie is the least studied unit from the second world war, there is so many things unknown and waiting to be discovered.

Many thanks! Could you use this form?

NAME, PRENAME:

DATE OF BIRTH, PLACE:

DATE OF DEATH, PLACE:

TYPE OF DEATH, DETAILS:

RANK, FUNCTION:

UNIT, SPECIFIC:

COMMANDER:

AWARDS:

EXTRA DATA:

Gordon W., herby a close-up of the previous photo.