News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Albert "A" Palm Devices

Here's a simple question; I've noticed different style palm devices for the Albert era awards and want to know are these differences simply due to manufacturers, or is there a pattern due to time period or specific types for specific awards?

Here's some examples that I've come across:

The silver ones on top are virtually the same with very minor differences. I see these types mostly on the Art 4 and Leopold I decorations, sometimes on the Croix de Guerre's (in bronze of course) and they are cut out much more than the other types.

The Art 4 medals seem to have a wide variety and I wonder if they relate to the different patterns (in relation to the type of "A") of that medal?

Any ideas?

Tim

Edited by Tim B

Here's a simple question; I've noticed different style palm devices for the Albert era awards and want to know are these differences simply due to manufacturers, or is there a pattern due to time period or specific types for specific awards?

Here's some examples that I've come across:

The silver ones on top are virtually the same with very minor differences. I see these types mostly on the Art 4 and Leopold I decorations, sometimes on the Croix de Guerre's (in bronze of course) and they are cut out much more than the other types.

The Art 4 medals seem to have a wide variety and I wonder if they relate to the different patterns (in relation to the type of "A") of that medal?

Any ideas?

Tim

This is the first time that I have seen these "A" devices. I have a collection of Belgium medals but no "a" device. I new hunt for me...

:beer: Doc

Edited by Riley1965

Okay, thanks guys!

I assume, by the lack of any negative comments, that all the shown variations are in fact genuine period type palms?

The Type 4 at the bottom will soon be one of the items arriving at my door; not especially keen on the palm style, but I have seen a gold palm of the same design on a Belgian WW1 CdG as well. But hey, it's an ART 4 w/palm! :cheers:

Tim

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I would continue with some closeups of a couple of palms to show varieties and construction. Hope others will post some of their examples as well!

Tim

Here's a Gilt palm (with Albert A) with no cutouts.

Reverse; Interesting with the center support bar. I assume this was probably a later modification to strenghten the palm as they were pretty flimsy with the cutout material and prone to breaking as evidenced below (next post).

Tim

Edited by Tim B

Here's one on an Albert era Article 4 Decoration. This palm with the cutouts does not have the support bar across the back and as you can see, the palm broke on the right tip (reverse pin missing this end). Nice sewing job.

Tim

Most likely the attachment pin broke off the back and the Vet did not have a replacement so had it reattached with thread. Are there holes in the ribbon behind the sewn palm?unsure.gif

Here's one on an Albert era Article 4 Decoration. This palm with the cutouts does not have the support bar across the back and as you can see, the palm broke on the right tip (reverse pin missing this end). Nice sewing job.

Tim

Edited by Gldank

Most likely the attachment pin broke off the back and the Vet did not have a replacement so had it reattached with thread. Are there holes in the ribbon behind the sewn palm?unsure.gif

Yes, exactly. One pin remains and the other one (below where the palm is broken) is missing. I see this quite often with palms on Croix de Guerre (both French and Belgian).

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

These palms look French made. Remove the "A" and you have a French CdG Palm! Interesting! unsure.gif

Hi James,

Yes, almost the same type of setup (palm & lion style) shown on Bill Simpson's site under "The Great War".

Tim

• 2 months later...

Thought I would add an update here. Another Croix de Guerre with the palms and Lion devices. This one on a more current strike (circa 50's-60's). The lower palm is more of a hollow strike, where the top palm is solid and about three times as thick.

Tim

Edited by Tim B

Hello Tim,

Here is my contribution. It is from my Belgian group of 4 which has been previously posted. On viewing this thread I went back to the group and had a closer look at the CdG and palm, and it does indeed have cut-outs.

It does appear to look the same as that posted by you in #7.

Close-up of the palm to follow.

Regards,

Rob

• 1 month later...
    • 6 months later...