News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Princely State of Patiala - an end of an era

Brian Wolfe

Hello everyone,

During the British Raj there existed literally 100s of independent states within India ruled by a Maharaja or other ruler. These states where usually in an alliance with the British and thereby were free from direct rule by the British. This is a very simplified statement and you should research into the topic more for more detailed and accurate information. In a nut shell, it was a matter of get along with the British Raj or your country might just get along without you.

The followwing photos are of the Maharaja of Patiala,Sir Bhupinder Singh Mohinder Bahadur who ruled from 1900 until 1938. Following the photos are some medals so hang in there for those and a bit more of the history of Patiala after Indian Independence in 1947.

Regards

Brian

In 1947 under Maharajah Bhupinder Singh's son, Yadvendra Singh the Instrument of Accession was signed with India. He was the first Indian Prince to do so and he was awarded rule over the Indian state of Patiala and East Punjab States Union (PEPSU)in 1948. In 1956 PEPSU was merged with the Punjab State where it is to this day.

This brings me to a collecting point. Collecting the medals of the Princely States can cost you a Maharajah's bank account. Rather than breaking the bank you can always collect the British War Medals and Indian Independence 1947 Medals named to members of the former Princely State. While a purist would say these are not actually medals from the Princely State I maintain that they were awarded to members of that state's armed forces. Following is an Independence Medal (1947) named to a member of the Patiala Security Forces. This was just before Patiala merged into PEPSU.

Sorry about that last photo, I got distracted and posted it twice! :banger:

The following is a group of medals named to a soldier from the Nabha Security Forces (another Princely State). However, this was one of the States that was merged with Patiala to form PEPSU. You can see why it became important that Yadvendra Singh was the first Prince to sign the Instrument of Accession as the other Princes who were now part of PEPSU lost their power, though I understand they were still very rich men. As I said earlier PEPSU was short lived and soon (1956) merged with the Punjab State.

Check out the low regimental number for the PEPSU Forces.

I hope to be adding to this post as time passes and, as always, if you have anything you'd like to add please feel free to do so.

Regards

Brian

Thanks for posting these, Brian. I'm hopeful that you can inspire some of the members to post theirs as well. A fellow I used to work with in India claimed to be a schoolmate of the then-incumbent Maharaja, and we always wanted to put together a visit to Patiala. I understand it's a world-class collection.

Where's Ed these days? Haven't heard from him in a while.

H

To add to and round out this post I am posting an Independence Medal (1947) named to: 2656 SEP.BARMHA SINGH, NABHA S.F. to go with the Nabha/PEPSU group posted earlier.

The cigarette card is No. 25 in the Cope's Cigaretts cards series and of a Nabha Lancer in dress uniform.

The back of the card has this to say:

Nabha Lancers are recruited from the famous Punjab district. These soldiers form part of the Imperial Service Troops, and are stationed in one of the Independent Native States in the North West of India. Like the Ramour Lancers their field operations have been so far mainly confined to India.

Regards

Brian

The Nabha Akal Infantry served in Italy during the Second World War. CWGC records 96 names, most on the Forli Cremation Memorial.

Thanks for adding that information Michael. I wonder if the fellow who was awarded the Independence Medal served in Italy. I guess there's some things we'll probably never know.

Regards

Brian